Youth Director / Pastor
Director of Youth Ministry (or Assistant Pastor if appropriate)
Christ the King Presbyterian Church
The following document contains: 1) Our vision for youth ministry; 2) Profile of the next Youth Director; 3) Job description.
Vision for Christ the King’s Youth Ministry:
We desire the ministry to our youth to be:
- Gospel-Driven: The content of the teaching and the context for the ministry is the gospel – the message that the only hope for our salvation is the grace of God, freely offered in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.
- Relational: In order to have long-term impact in our students’ lives, we must pursue, know, and love them. We want to surround them with people who care about them as image bearers of God, treating them with dignity and respect. Relational ministry will often look like casual encounters, intentional conversations, and play.
- Reformed: The system of doctrine that we espouse and live out is Reformed. This world and life view permeates every aspect of our lives and is to be reflected in distinct ways in the ministry to our youth.
- Integrated: God has blessed Christ the King (CTK) with members of various ages and experiences. Thus, we desire our students to enjoy the blessing of these diverse relationships and grow in their ability to serve the larger church. It is the role of all the ministry staff to come alongside our families to help our students to grow in grace, know how to serve the Lord in the world, and to live out their callings.
Profile of the Youth Director
CTK’s youth director must be a godly man or woman who exhibits the following qualities:
- Values youth ministry: desires to use gifts to disciple youth over a significant period of time.
- Gifted Relationally: able to identify with and disciple youth through life on life investment
- Established Leader: supports the vision of CTK and contributes to it by leading our church in the discipling of our students. Has vision and leadership abilities to direct our youth ministry.
- Effective Communicator: is able to clearly articulate biblical truths to our youth and families.
- Ordainable (if applicable): has the necessary educational qualifications to be ordained in the Blue Ridge Presbytery and disciple not only the youth but serve the broader church through general pastoral responsibilities (i.e. preaching, teaching, sacraments, etc.).
Purpose: To shepherd the youth of CTK (6th-12th grade) by developing a purposefully biblical and relational ministry that equips our students with the gospel of grace.
Youth: Provides a variety of discipleship opportunities for the youth of CTK by discipling them in the gospel of grace, loving them with the love of Christ, and developing a comprehensive ministry by which students engage with Jesus.
- Leads and teaches youth Sunday school
- Leads and coordinates weekly youth group meeting (currently on Sunday evenings) and small group bible studies designed for discipleship, building relationships, fellowship, and outreach to non-believers.
- Plans regular large group events during the year.
- Participates in the assimilation of new youth into the church (i.e. informal greeting on Sunday morning, follow-up letters, lunches, etc.).
- Pursues relationships with our middle and high school students outside of church (i.e. breakfasts, lunch, attending events, etc.).
- Coordinates and participates in retreats and trips throughout the year, including the summer (i.e. RYM, MODGNIK).
- Recruits, supervises, and trains volunteers who work with youth.
- Communicates effectively with parents and the wider church. This includes regular correspondence with parents, meeting with Session members / representative, and bi-annual parent meetings.
- Encourages and helps to facilitate the youth’s participation in church life, to include corporate worship as well as service and missions projects.
General Ministry: As a member of the ministry staff, provides general care to the church, is active in staff meetings, supports other ministries, and is a team player.
If ordained: will be provided opportunities to lead liturgy, preach, and counsel.
Families: Provides families with teaching, resources, and activities to promote parental ministry to children and development of family to family ministry within the church.
- Assists pastoral staff, Session, and the congregation to think biblically about issues related to adolescence and youth culture – how to best disciple students in our current cultural context
- Assist the Session in ministering to known needs of families.
The Youth Director shall a member of CTK and will report directly to the Senior Pastor on a day-to-day basis. He/she reports regularly on his/her progress to the Senior Pastor and Session.
All inquiries should be directed to John “Penny” Pennylegion, Senior Pastor: email@example.com
Christ the King Presbyterian
Contact Name & Contact Info
Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Description of Organization
Christ the King Presbyterian church is a growing PCA church in Roanoke, VA. We're a church that averages around 275 on a Sunday. We have multiple staff and and supportive community.Contact Via Email