Princeton University, A.B.
Westminster Theological Seminary, B.D.
Yale University, MA, M.Phil.
Belhaven College, D.D.
About Dr. Frame
Dr. John Frame joined RTS Orlando in 2002 and serves as Professor of Systematic Theology and Philosophy Emeritus. Dr. Frame teaches core courses on systematic theology, apologetics, ethics and philosophy.
Dr. Frame’s research interests include theology proper (the doctrine of God), the doctrine of scripture, ethics and epistemology (the theory of knowledge). Dr. Frame began his teaching career on the faculty of Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia before serving as a founding faculty member at Westminster Seminary California for more than 20 years. He is best known for his prolific writings, particularly his four-volume Theology of Lordship series. The second volume in this series (The Doctrine of God) won the 2003 Gold Medallion Award from the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association in the category of theology/doctrine.
An ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church in America, Dr. Frame is deeply committed to the work of ministry and to training pastors. Students appreciate Dr. Frame’s wealth of insight and his ability to communicate complex issues simply and clearly. Students also value Dr. Frame’s practical definition of theology as “the application of God’s revelation to all of life.”
Dr. Frame is a talented pianist and organist as well as a discerning media critic. He and his wife Mary have multiple children.
- Joint website project of Dr. Frame and Dr. Vern Poythress: www.frame-poythress.org
- A History of Western Philosophy and Theology (Phillipsburg, NJ, 2015)
- Apologetics: A Justification of Christian Belief (Phillipsburg, NJ, 2015)
- Selected Shorter Writings (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 2014)
- Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Christian Belief (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 2013)
- The Academic Captivity of Theology (Lakeland, FL: Whitefield Media Productions, 2013)
- The Escondido Theology: A Reformed Response to Two Kingdom Theology(Whitfield Media Productions, 2011)
- The Doctrine of the Word of God (P&R Publishing, 2010)
- The Doctrine of the Christian Life (P&R Publishing, 2008)
- Salvation Belongs to the Lord: An Introduction to Systematic Theology (P&R Publishing, 2006)
- Contributor to multiple reference volumes, including the New Dictionary of Christian Apologetics (Inter-Varsity Press, 2006), Dictionary for the Theological Interpretation of the Bible (Baker Book House, 2005), Handbook of Evangelical Theologians (Baker Books, 1993), Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith (Westminster John Knox Press, 1992), the New Dictionary of Theology (Inter-Varsity Press, 1997) and Baker’s Dictionary of Christian Ethics (Baker Publishing Group, 1973)
- The Doctrine of God (P&R Publishing, 2002)
- No Other God: A Response to Open Theism (P&R Publishing, 2001)
- Contributor, Five Views on Apologetics (Zondervan, 2000)
- Contemporary Worship Music: A Biblical Defense (P&R Publishing, 1997)
- Worship in Spirit and Truth (P&R Publishing, 1996)
- Cornelius Van Til: An Analysis of His Thought (P&R Publishing, 1995)
- Apologetics to the Glory of God (P&R Publishing, 1994)
- Evangelical Reunion: Denominations and the Body of Christ (Baker Publishing Group, 1991)
- Perspectives on the Word of God: An Introduction to Christian Ethics (Wipf & Stock Publishers, 1990)
- Medical Ethics: Principles, Persons and Problems (P&R Publishing, 1989)
- The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God (P&R Publishing, 1987)
- Van Til, The Theologian (Pilger Publishing House, 1976)
- “The Road to Generous Orthodoxy,” in Reformation & Revival 14:3 (2005), 97-105.
- “Salvation and Theological Pedagogy,” in Reformation & Revival 14:1 (2005), 57-70.
- “Johnson on Van Til: A Rejoiner,” in Evangelical Quarterly 76:3 (2004), 227-239.
- “Reply to Don Collett on Transcendental Argument,” Westminster Theological Journal 65:2 (2003), 307-309.
- “Studying Theology as a Servant of Christ,” in Reformation & Revival 11:1 (2002), 45-69.
- “In Defense of Something Close to Biblicism: Reflections on Sola Scriptura and History in Theological Method,” in Westminster Theological Journal59:2 (1997), 269-291.
- “Scripture and the Apologetic Task,” in Journal of Biblical Counseling 13:2 (1995), 9-12.
- “Van Til on Antithesis,” in Westminster Theological Journal 57:1 (1995), 81-102.
- “Men and Women in the Image of God,” in John Piper and Wayne Grudem, eds., Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. Wheaton: Crossway Books (1991), 228-236.
- “Christianity and Contemporary Epistemology,” in Westminster Theological Journal 52:1 (1990), 131-141.
- “Toward a Theology of the State,” in Westminster Theological Journal 51:2 (1989), 199-226.
- Booklet: https://rts.edu/Site/Resources/Booklets/Learning_at_Jesus_Feet.pdf
- Booklet: https://rts.edu/Site/Resources/Booklets/Study_as_a_Servant.pdf