Bob Jones University, B.A., M.A.
Westminster Theological Seminary, Ph.D.
About Dr. Lucas
Sean Michael Lucas has taught at RTS since 2011 and was elected Chancellor’s Professor of Church History in 2017 while continuing as senior minister of Independent Presbyterian Church (PCA), Memphis, Tennessee. He graduated from Bob Jones University with a B.A. degree (Pastoral Studies) in 1993 and an M.A. (Theology/Church History) in 1994; he received the Ph.D. from Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia (Historical and Theological Studies: American Reformed Tradition) in 2002.
Sean previously served as senior minister at the First Presbyterian Church (PCA), Hattiesburg, Mississippi as well as on the pastoral staffs of Community Presbyterian Church (PCA), Louisville, Kentucky, and The Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA), St. Louis, Missouri. While he was in St. Louis, he was a faculty member and administrator at Covenant Theological Seminary, eventually serving as Chief Academic Officer and associate professor of church history.
Not only has he preached in a number of churches in our denomination and chaired various presbytery and General Assembly committees, he has served as moderator of Grace Presbytery and preached at the 40th PCA General Assembly in 2012. He has written or edited several books and served as co-editor (with D. G. Hart) of the American Reformed Biographies series and editor of the Basics of the Faith series, both with P&R publishing.
Sean and his wife Sara have four children: Samuel, Elizabeth, Andrew, and Benjamin. In his free time, he enjoys running and following his beloved St. Louis Cardinals.
- For a Continuing Church: The Beginnings of the Presbyterian Church in America, P&R Publishing, 2015
- J. Gresham Machen (Bitesize Biographies), Evangelical Press, 2015
- Blessed Zion: First Presbyterian Church, Jackson, Mississippi, 1837-2012, Hederman, 2013
- Daniel: Trusting the True Hero, Christian Focus, 2012
- God’s Grand Design: The Theological Vision of Jonathan Edwards, Crossway, 2011
- What is Grace? (Basics of the Faith), P&R Publishing, 2011
- What is Church Government? (Basics of the Faith), P&R Publishing, 2009
- On Being Presbyterian: Our Beliefs, Practices, and Stories, P&R Publishing, 2006
- All for Jesus, (co-editor with Robert A. Peterson) Christian Focus, 2006
- Robert Lewis Dabney: A Southern Presbyterian Life, P&R Publishing, 2005
- The Legacy of Jonathan Edwards: American Religion and the Evangelical Tradition, (co-editor with D.G. Hart and Stephen J. Nichols, and contributing author) Baker Academic, 2003