About Dr. Richardson
Dr. William J. Richardson, Professor of Counseling in the RTS Master of Arts in Counseling program, received his M.Ed. and Ph.D. in Educational Leadership from the College of Education, Department of Counseling and Psychological Services at Georgia State University. Prior to masters and doctoral studies, Dr. Richardson graduated from Wheaton College with dual majors in both Religious Studies and Psychology.
Dr. Richardson brings more than 30 years of clinical experience within the church and in community counseling to his teaching at RTS. In addition to classroom work and private practice Dr. Richardson serves as the Clinical Director of the RTS Counseling Center on the Jackson campus, one of the highest volume Christian counseling centers in the southern United States. He is a member of the American Mental Health Counselors Association, the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy and the American Counseling Association. He is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (Mississippi), a Clinical Fellow and Approved Supervisor of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
Areas of Academic Focus:
- Relationship skills for the Christian family,
- Ethical Issues in Christian counseling, and
- Understanding Internal Family Systems Therapy from a biblical counseling foundation
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- “All Parts Welcome: A Workshop on Internal Family Systems Therapy for the Christian Counselor.” (2018) https://sexualisveritas.com/all-parts-welcome/, Atlanta, GA.
- A psycho-educational model of parenting discipline seeking to bring synthesis to the field. Marriage and Family: A Christian Journal. (Vol. 4, 1, 2001. 63-73.)
- “Enrichment, Structured Enrichment, Social Skills and Psychotherapy: Comparison and Contrasts.” In L. L’Abate & M. Milan (Eds.) Handbook of Social Skills Training and Research. (New York: Wiley and sons, 1985.)
- “Ethical Courses of Action for Complex yet Common Counseling Situations.” Workshop presentation at the RTS Conference on Christian Counseling, October, 2018, Jackson, MS.
- “Internal Family Systems Counseling,” Workshop presentation at the Mississippi Licensed Professional Counseling Association Annual Conference, May 2018, Clinton, MS.
- “Internal Family Systems Counseling: Core Principles, Initial Applications.” Program presentation at the Mississippi Counseling Association Annual Conference, November, 2018, Gulfport, MS.
- “Internal Family Systems Therapy Meets Evangelical Christianity: Integration of Diverse Communities and Theories.” Paper and workshop co-presentation with Richard Schwartz at the American Association of Christian Counselors World Conference, 2007. (Paper available at http://brichardson.rts.googlepages.com.)
- Loving Obedience: Child Training Techniques That Work. (Chicago: Northfield Press, 2000.)