Grove City College, B.S.
Westminster Theological Seminary, MDiv
University of Cambridge, Ph.D.
About Dr. Ross
Dr. William A. Ross (Ph.D., University of Cambridge) is an assistant professor of Old Testament at Reformed Theological Seminary in Charlotte, N.C. He joined the faculty in 2019 and teaches courses in Old Testament interpretation and ancient languages, including Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, and others. He is also a teaching elder in the PCA.
Prior to coming to Charlotte, Ross completed his doctoral work at the University of Cambridge as a Cambridge Trust Scholar under Dr. James K. Aitken, specializing in the Septuagint, Greek language, and Old Testament textual history. Prior to that, Ross had earned an MDiv at Westminster Theological Seminary in his home town of Philadelphia.
Dr. Ross’s research interests focus mainly on the Septuagint but also numerous related topics, especially postclassical Greek, linguistics, Judaism, textual criticism, and the history of biblical philology. Currently, Ross is co-chair of the Septuagint Studies unit at ETS, the Linguistics and the Biblical Text research group at IBR, and the Biblical Lexicography program unit at SBL. Ross is also a member of the Biblia latina e historiografía eclesiástica: edición y estudio de textos research project (2021-2024) based at the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas in Madrid. He blogs regularly at Septuaginta&c.
Dr. Ross and his wife, Kelli, live in the Charlotte area and have four children.
- Septuagint Lexicography and Language Change in Greek Judges. SBLSCS. Atlanta: SBL Press, forthcoming.
- (with Gregory R. Lanier) What is the Septuagint and Why Does it Matter? Understanding the Greek Old Testament. Crossway, forthcoming.
- (edited with W. Edward Glenny), T&T Clark Handbook of Septuagint Research. London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2021.
- (with Gregory R. Lanier) A Book-by-Book Guide to Septuagint Vocabulary. Peabody: Hendrickson, 2019.
- (with Gregory R. Lanier, eds.) Septuaginta: A Reader’s Edition. 2 vols.; Peabody: Hendrickson, 2018.
- (with G. K. Beale and Daniel J. Brendsel.) An Interpretive Lexicon of New Testament Greek: Analysis of Prepositions, Adverbs, Particles, Relative Pronouns, and Conjunctions. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2014.
- “Sidney Jellicoe and the Formation of the IOSCS (1967–1969).” Journal for Septuagint and Cognate Studies, forthcoming.
- “Questioning the ‘Opposition’ and Interpretatio Christiana in Marcus Aurelius (Med. 11.3).” Ephemerides Theologicae Lovanienses 95 (2019): 667–687.
- “David’s Spiritual Walls and Conceptual Blending in Psalm 51.” Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 43.4 (2019): 607–626.
- “Septuagint Lexicography and Language Change in Greek Judges,” in Tyndale Bulletin 70.1 (2019): 156–60.
- “Style and Familiarity in Judg 19,7 (Old Greek): Establishing Dependence in the Septuagint.” Biblica 98.1 (2017): 25-36.
- “Ὦ ἀνόητοι καὶ βραδεῖς τῇ καρδίᾳ: Luke, Aesop, and Reading Scripture.” Novum Testamentum 58.4 (2016): 369-79.
- “Text-Critical Question Begging in Nahum 1,2-8: Re-evaluating the Evidence and Arguments.” Zeitschrift für die Alttestamentliche Wissenschaft 127.3 (October 2015): 459-74.
EDITED VOLUME CONTRIBUTIONS
- “Modern Language Translations of the Septuagint.” Pages 329–344 in T&T Clark Handbook of Septuagint Research. Edited by William A. Ross and W. Edward Glenny. London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2021.
- “Introduction.” Pages 1–5 in T&T Clark Handbook of Septuagint Research. Edited by William A. Ross and W. Edward Glenny. London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2021.
- “The ‘Scissors and Paste’ Septuagint Concordance in the Bodleian Library (Auct. E 1.2,3).” Pages 882–98 in 7. Internationale Fachtagung von Septuaginta-Deutsch (July 2018). Edited by Martin Meiser et al. WUNT 444; Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2020.
- “Some Aspects of Παιδάριον and Νεανίσκος in Ptolemaic Egypt.” Pages 189–205 in The Legacy of Soisalon-Soininen: Towards a Syntax of Septuagint Greek. Edited by Tuukka Kauhanen and Hanna Vanonen; DSI 13; Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2020.
- “Reading the Septuagint Alongside the Hebrew Bible.” Pages 162–164 in Hebrew for Life: Strategies for Learning, Retaining, and Reviving Biblical Hebrew. Edited by Adam Howell; Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2020.
- “The Septuagint as Catalyst for Language Change in the Koine: A Usage-Based Approach.” Pages 383–97 in Die Septuaginta — Geschichte. Wirkung. Relevanz: 6. Internationale Fachtagung von Septuaginta-Deutsch (LXX.D), Wuppertal 21.-24. Juli 2016. Edited by Martin Meiser, Michaela Geiger, Siegfried Kreuzer, and Marcs Sigismund. WUNT 405; Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2018.
- “Lexical Possibilities in Septuagint Research: Revision and Expansion.” Pages 341–59 in XV Congress of the International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies: Munich, 2013. Edited by Wolfgang Kraus, Martin Meiser, and Michaël van der Meer. SBLSCS 64. Atlanta: SBL Press, 2016.
DICTIONARIES & ENCYCLOPEDIAS
- “Lexicons of New Testament and Septuagint Greek, History of,” in Encyclopedia of Biblical Greek Language and Linguistics. Edited by Dana Harris, Christopher Land, Jonathan Watt, and Stanley Porter. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, forthcoming.
- “Septuagint as a Translation,” in Encyclopedia of Biblical Greek Language and Linguistics. Edited by Dana Harris, Christopher Land, Jonathan Watt, and Stanley Porter. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, forthcoming.
- “Muraoka, Takamitsu,” in Encyclopedia of Biblical Greek Language and Linguistics. Edited by Dana Harris, Christopher Land, Jonathan Watt, and Stanley Porter. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, forthcoming.
- Entries “Body Parts” – “Bronze” (Hebrew). In Expository Dictionary of Old Testament and New Testament Words. Tremper Longman III and Mark Strauss, eds.; Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, forthcoming.
See this webpage for a list of book reviews.
ONLINE PUBLICATIONS & INTERVIEWS
- Interview on the Guilt, Grace, Gratitude podcast (June 2021)
- “The Oldest Bible Translation,” Bible Study Magazine (March/April 2021)
- Interview on the Biblingual YouTube channel (March 2021)
- “What is the Septuagint” on Digging for Truth (November 2020; WBPH Studios, Part I and Part II)
- Interview about Septuaginta: A Reader’s Edition on the New Books Network podcast (May 2019)
- Interview about Septuaginta: A Reader’s Edition on the Tool Talk podcast (November 2018)
- “Reading the Old Testament (in Greek),” Credo Magazine (September 2018)