University of North Florida, B.A.
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, MDiv, Th.M.
Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Ph.D.
About Dr. Swain
Dr. Scott R. Swain is President and James Woodrow Hassell Professor of Systematic Theology at Reformed Theological Seminary in Orlando, Florida. Dr. Swain has served on the RTS faculty since 2006, having previously taught at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas.
His main research interests include the doctrine of God, theological interpretation of Scripture, and modern Protestant theology, and he has published a number of books and essays on these topics. With Dr. Michael Allen, he serves as general editor of two series: Zondervan Academic’s New Studies in Dogmatics and T & T Clark’s International Theological Commentary.
Dr. Swain is an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church in America. He and his wife, Leigh, have four children.
- The Divine Names, New Studies in Dogmatics (Zondervan Academic, forthcoming).
- The Trinity and the Bible: On Theological Interpretation (Lexham Academic, 2021).
- The Trinity: An Introduction, Short Studies in Systematic Theology (Crossway, 2020).
- The Oxford Handbook of Reformed Theology (Oxford University Press, 2020), co-edited with Michael Allen.
- Retrieving Eternal Generation (Zondervan Academic, 2017), co-edited with Fred Sanders.
- Christian Dogmatics: Reformed Theology for the Church Catholic (Baker Academic, 2016), co-edited with Michael Allen.
- Reformed Catholicity: The Promise of Retrieval for Theology and Biblical Interpretation (Baker Academic, 2015), co-authored with Michael Allen.
- The God of the Gospel: Robert Jenson’s Trinitarian Theology (IVP Academic, 2013).
- Trinity, Revelation, and Reading: A Theological Introduction to the Bible and Its Interpretation (T & T Clark, 2011).
- Father, Son and Spirit: The Trinity and John’s Gospel (IVP Academic, 2008), co-authored with Andreas Köstenberger.
- “The Attributes of God,” in Matthew Barrett, ed., Reformation Theology: A Systematic Summary (Crossway, 2017).
- “On Divine Naming,” in Manfred Svensson and David VanDrunen, eds., Aquinas Among the Protestants (Wiley-Blackwell, 2017).
- “Lutheran and Reformed Sacramental Theology, 17th-19th Centuries,” in Hans Boersma and Matthew Levering, eds., The Oxford Handbook of Sacramental Theology (Oxford University Press, 2015).
- “‘Heirs through God’: Galatians 4.4-7 and the Doctrine of the Trinity,” in Mark Elliot, Scott Hafeman, N. T. Wright, and John Frederick, eds., Galatians and Christian Theology (Baker Academic, 2014).
- “The Mystery of the Trinity,” Credo Magazine (April 2013): 26-33.
- “The Trinity in the Reformers,” in Gilles Emery and Matthew Levering, eds., The Oxford Handbook of the Trinity (Oxford University Press, 2011).
- “Mark 12: God’s Lordly Son and Trinitarian Christology,” in Michael Allen, ed., Theological Commentary: Evangelical Perspectives (T & T Clark, 2011).