Biola University, B.A.
Westminster Theological Seminary, MAR
University of Edinburgh, Ph.D.
About Dr. Sutanto
Dr. N. Gray Sutanto joined as the assistant professor of systematic theology at Reformed Theological Seminary, Washington D.C., in the summer of 2020.
Along with the Dutch Reformed theologian Herman Bavinck, Dr. Sutanto’s research interests are broad, ranging from modern Protestant theology, prolegomena, humanity and sin, the relationship between philosophy and theology, analytic theology, and Christianity and culture. He is currently writing on the doctrines of humanity and sin.
Ordained in the International Presbyterian Church, he has served as a teaching elder in Covenant City Church, Jakarta, Indonesia, and has received a visiting fellowship at the Theological University of Kampen-Utrecht.
He is married to Indita Probosutedjo and together they have a daughter. Dr. Sutanto grew up in Jakarta and Singapore, and on his spare time enjoys watching indie movies, playing the guitar, and reading.
- God and Humanity: Herman Bavinck and Theological Anthropology. T&T Clark Explorations in Reformed Theology (London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2024)
- Neo-Calvinism: A Theological Introduction (co-authored with Cory Brock), (Bellingham: Lexham Press, 2023)
- God and Knowledge: Herman Bavinck’s Theological Epistemology. T&T Clark Studies in Systematic Theology (London & New York: Bloomsbury: 2020),
- T&T Clark Handbook of Neo-Calvinism, Editor, with Cory Brock (London and New York: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2024).
- Herman Bavinck’s Christianity and Science (Crossway, 2023). Editor and translator, with James Eglinton and Cory Brock
- Herman Bavinck’s Christian Worldview (Wheaton: Crossway, 2019). A translation with a new introduction. Editor and Translator, with James Eglinton and Cory Brock.
- Herman Bavinck’s Philosophy of Revelation: An Updated and Annotated Edition (Peabody: Hendrickson: 2018). Editor, with Cory Brock.
SELECT ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS:
- “Christian Baptism: A Reformed Account” T&T Clark Companion to Analytic Theology, edited by James Arcadi and James Turner (London & New York: Bloomsbury, 2020)
- “Questioning Bonaventure’s Augustinianism?: On the Noetic Effects of Sin.” New Blackfriars (Early View, 2020).
- “Divine Providence’s Wetenschappelijke Benefits: Retrieving a Bavinckian Model,” Divine Providence and Action, edited by Oliver Crisp and Fred Sanders (Zondervan, 2019), 96-114.
- “Herman Bavinck and Thomas Reid on Perception and Knowing God.” Harvard Theological Review 111 (2018): 115-34.
- “Herman Bavinck’s Reformed Eclecticism: On Catholicity, Consciousness, and Theological Epistemology.” Scottish Journal of Theology 70 (2017): 310-332. Co-authored with Cory Brock.
- “Herman Bavinck on the Image of God and Original Sin.” International Journal of Systematic Theology 18 (2016): 174-90.