Westminster Theological Seminary, M.Div.
Duke University, Ph.D.
About Dr. Waters
Dr. Guy Waters is the James M. Baird, Jr. Professor of New Testament with a particular interest in the letters and theology of Paul, the use of Scripture in the New Testament, and the Synoptic Gospels. He received his B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania (1995), his M.Div. from Westminster Theological Seminary (1998), and his Ph.D. from Duke University (2002). Prior to coming to RTS Jackson in 2007, he spent one year teaching Hellenistic Greek at Duke Divinity School and five years as Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies at Belhaven College. In 2003, he became a teaching elder in the Mississippi Valley Presbytery (PCA). He served as the Chair of the Credentials Committee for more than ten years.
- Justification and the New Perspectives on Paul (Phillipsburg, N.J.: P&R, 2004) Finalist, Christianity Today 2005 Book Award (Biblical Studies)
- The Federal Vision and Covenant Theology: A Comparative Analysis (Phillipsburg, N.J.: P&R, 2006)
- The End of Deuteronomy in the Epistles of Paul (WUNT 2/221; Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2006).
- By Faith Alone, Crossway, 2007.
- Reforming or Conforming?: Post-Conservative Evangelicals and the Emerging Church, Crossway, 2008.
- A Christian’s Pocket Guide to Justification: Being Made Right With God? (Fearn: Christian Focus Publications, 2010; reprinted 2012).
- How Jesus Runs the Church (Phillipsburg, N.J.: P&R, 2011).
- Children and the Lord’s Supper, Mentor, 2011.
- What Is the Bible? (P&R, 2013).
- The Acts of the Apostles (Darlington, UK: Evangelical Press, 2015).
- The Life and Theology of Paul (Sanford, FL: Reformation Trust, 2018).
- The Lord’s Supper as the Sign and Meal of the New Covenant (SSBT; Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2019), forthcoming.
- With Gary L. W. Johnson. By Faith Alone: Answering Challenges to the Doctrine of Justification (Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway, 2007).
- With J. Ligon Duncan III. Children and the Lord’s Supper (Fearn: Christian Focus Publications, 2011).
- New Testament Editor, The Reformation Study Bible, Revised (Reformation Trust, 2015).
- “Introduction to John Mitchell Mason, Essays on the Church of God” in John Mitchell Mason, Essays on the Church of God (1843; reprint, Taylors, S.C.: Presbyterian Press, 2005).
- “Rejoinder to Nicholas Perrin, ‘A Reformed Perspective on the New Perspective’” WTJ 68 (2006): 133-138.
- “What Is At Stake? An Assessment of Nicholas Perrin’s Criticisms of Justification and the New Perspectives on Paul.” Reformation 21 Issue 14 (September 2006).
- “Whatever Happened to Sola Fide?” pp. 21-32 in By Faith Alone: Answering Challenges to the Doctrine of Justification (Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway, 2007).
- “What Is the New Perspective on Paul?” in Areopagus Journal (Mar/Apr 2007): 5-11.
- “The Theology of Norman Shepherd: A Study in Development, 1963-2006,” pp. 207-231 in ed. Robert L. Penny, The Hope Fulfilled: Essays in Honor of O. Palmer Robertson (Phillipburg, N.J.: P&R, 2008).
- “It’s ‘Wright’ But Is It Right?: An Assessment and Engagement of an ‘Emerging’ Rereading of the Ministry of Jesus,” pp. 188-210 in eds. Gary L. W. Johnson and Ronald L. Gleason, Reforming or Conforming? Post-Conservative Evangelicals and the Emerging Church (Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway, 2008).
- “The Mosaic Covenant and the Covenant of Works: An Analysis of Romans 10:5,” pp. 210-239 in The Law Is Not Of Faith: Essays on Grace and Works in the Mosaic Covenant, eds. John Fesko, David VanDrunen, Bryan Estelle. (Phillipsburg, N.J.: P&R, 2009).
- “Covenant Theology and Recent Interpretation of Paul: Some Reflections,” Confessional Presbyterian 6 (2010): 167-79.
- “From Dissension to Joy: Resources from Acts 15:1-35 for Global Presbyterianism” in Bruce P. Baugus, ed., China and the Presbyterian Church (Reformation Heritage, 2014).“With a Whimper or a Bang? Acts 28 and the Ending of Acts” RTR 74/1 (2015):1-14.
- “Curse Redux? 1 Cor 5:13, Deuteronomy, and Identity in Corinth” WTJ 77/2 (2015): 237- 250.
- “1 John 2:22 – What Does the Liar Deny?” PRJ 8/1 (2016): 29-48.
- “Romans,” pp. 169-194 in ed. Michael J. Kruger, A Biblical-Theological Introduction to the New Testament: The Gospel Realized (Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway, 2016).
- “1 & 2 Corinthians,” pp. 195-248 in ed. Michael J. Kruger, A Biblical-Theological Introduction to the New Testament: The Gospel Realized (Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway, 2016).
- “Galatians,” pp. 249-265 in ed. Michael J. Kruger, A Biblical-Theological Introduction to the New Testament: The Gospel Realized (Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway, 2016).
- “Ephesians,” pp. 267-283 in ed. Michael J. Kruger, A Biblical-Theological Introduction to the New Testament: The Gospel Realized (Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway, 2016).
- “The Synoptic Problem,” pp. 581-581 in ed. Michael J. Kruger, A Biblical-Theological Introduction to the New Testament: The Gospel Realized (Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway, 2016).
- “By Faith Alone: Luther and the Doctrine of Justification by Faith” in R. C. Sproul & Stephen J. Nichols, eds., The Life, Thought & Legacy of Martin Luther: Commemorating the 500th Anniversary of the Posting of the 95 Theses, 1517 – 2017 (Sanford, Fla.: Reformation Trust, 2016).
- “The New Testament and Theistic Evolution,” in eds. J.P. Moreland, Wayne Grudem, Stephen Meyer, and Chris Shaw, A Scientific, Theological, and Philosophical Critique of Theistic Evolution: Why No Informed Person Should Believe in Theistic Evolution(Crossway). Forthcoming.
- “The Westminster Standards and Church Government,” in ed. Kevin Bidwell, The Westminster Standards in Modern English (Darlington UK: Evangelical Press, 2018).
- “Taking Exception.” Ref21 (July 2018).
- “Calvin and the Law,” in For A New Reformation: Celebrating the Life and Legacy of John Calvin, eds. Derek W. H. Thomas and John W. Tweeddale (Wheaton, Ill.:Crossway). Forthcoming.
- “Jonathan Edwards, the Glory of God, and the Gospel of John.” Forthcoming
- “The Covenant of Works” in Tabletalk (December 2008).
- “Justification Defined” Churchman 123/1 (Spring 2009): 67-81.
- “Justification Applied” Churchman 123/2 (Summer 2009): 161-174.
- “Justification Undermined” Churchman 123/3 (Fall 2009): 243-270.
- “A Debtor to Mercy Alone,” pp.95-102 in Martin Downes, ed. Risking the Truth: Handling Error in the Church (Fearn: Christian Focus, 2009).
- “Foreword,” in Daniel R. Hyde, Welcome to a Reformed Church: An Introduction (Orlando, Fla.: Reformation Trust, 2010).
- “Has the Church Misunderstood Justification?” in Tabletalk (February 2010).
- Review of David Murray, Christians Get Depressed Too (Reformation Heritage 2010) at ligonier.org, May 2011.
- Review of D.G. Hart, From Billy Graham to Sarah Palin: Evangelicals and the Betrayal of American Conservatism (Eerdmans 2011) at ligonier.org. October 2011.
- “Delighting in the Church” Ministry and Leadership (Winter 2011), pp. 6-7.
- Review of William Boekestein, The Quest for Comfort: The Story of the Heidelberg Catechism (Reformation Heritage 2011) at ligonier.org, February 2012.
- “God-Centered Worship” in Tabletalk (April 2012).
- Grace Alone” in Tabletalk (November 2012).
- “Emulating Our Elders” in Tabletalk (March 2013).
- “Preaching Like Peter?” Reformation21, November, 2013).
- “The Historical Reality of Adam” in Tabletalk (January 2014).
- “The Fulfillment of the Law” in Tabletalk (May 2014).
- “What Is Justification and Sanctification?” in Tabletalk (January, 2015).
- “The Ending of Acts, Parts 1 and 2,” Reformation21 (March, 2015).
- Essential Reading for a Seminary Student” in 9Marks (May, 2015).
- “Keys of the Kingdom (Matt 16:19; 18:18)” in Tabletalk (October, 2015).
- “Eschatology (Acts 17:16-34),” Tabletalk (January, 2016).
- “The Head of the Church,” Tabletalk (September, 2016).
- “What Did Jesus Mean By ‘Many Are Called, but Few Are Chosen’?” TGC (June, 2017).
- “Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide,” Tabletalk (October, 2017).
- “Turretin and Justification” Reformation21 (October, 2017).
- “Two Texts for Reformation Day” Gospel Reformation Network (October, 2017).
- “Who Should Preach the Word? (WLC 158)” Gospel Reformation Network (June, 2018)
- “Paul’s Understanding of Sexuality: Malakoi and Arsenokoitai in 1 Cor 6:9” Gospel Reformation Network (September, 2018).
- “Federal Headship” Tabletalk (April, 2019).