About Dr. Cosby
Dr. Brian H. Cosby serves as senior minister of Wayside Presbyterian Church (PCA) on Signal Mountain, Tennessee. In addition to teaching at RTS, he has taught as an adjunct professor at Covenant College on Lookout Mountain, Georgia, and Belhaven University, Chattanooga. Dr. Cosby is a chaplain (Capt.) in the United States Air Force Reserves and serves on the board of trustees for Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri. He is a content writer for Ligonier Ministries’ online and print publications, editorial director for the Gospel Reformation Network, and has written over a dozen books. His academic interests include Reformation and post-Reformation/Puritan history, theology of suffering, and confessional theology. He and his wife, Ashley, have three children and live on a small farm.
- None Else: 31 Meditations on God’s Character and Attributes, co-authored with Joel Beeke (Grand Rapids: Reformation Heritage Books, 2020).
- Uncensored: Daring to Embrace the Entire Bible (Colorado Springs: David C. Cook, 2015).
- A Christian’s Pocket Guide to Suffering (Ross-Shire, UK: Christian Focus, 2015).
- God’s Story: A Student’s Guide to Church History (Ross-Shire, UK: Christian Focus, 2014).
- John Flavel: Puritan Life and Thought in Stuart England (Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014).
- Suffering and Sovereignty: John Flavel and the Puritans on Afflictive Providence (Grand Rapids: Reformation Heritage Books, 2012).
- When You Are Weak: How Boasting in Jesus Makes You Strong (Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock Publications, 2012).
- Rebels Rescued: A Student’s Guide to Reformed Theology (Ross-Shire, UK: Christian Focus, 2012).
- Giving Up Gimmicks: Reclaiming Youth Ministry from an Entertainment Culture (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 2012).
- David Brainerd: A Love for the Lost (Ross-Shire, UK: Christian Focus, 2011).
- John Bunyan: The Journey of a Pilgrim (Ross-Shire, UK: Christian Focus, 2009).
- “Reading the Bible for Transformation,” in the CSB Study Bible (B&H Publishing, 2017), pp. xlviii–l.
- “Clap, Thomas” in A Jonathan Edwards Encyclopedia, ed., Harry S. Stout (Grand Rapids: William Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2017), pp. 99.
- “Means of Grace” in A Jonathan Edwards Encyclopedia, ed., Harry S. Stout (Grand Rapids: William Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2017), pp. 369–70.
- “The Christian Worldview of Suffering” in The Beauty and Glory of the Christian Worldview, ed., Joel R. Beeke (Grand Rapids: Reformation Heritage Books, 2017), pp. 83–94.
- “Reformed Youth Ministry: A Means-of-Grace Approach” in 21st Century Youth Ministry: Four Views, ed., Chap Clark (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2015), pp. 37–70.
- “Participation in Worship” Tabletalk (forthcoming, February 2022).
- “The Way of Temptation and the Highway of Holiness” Gospel Reformation Network, gospelreformation.net (May 8, 2021).
- “The Ninth Commandment and the God of Truth” Tabletalk (November 2020), pp. 4–10.
- “God is God” Credo Magazine, co-authored with Joel Beeke, credomag.com(August 17, 2020).
- “A Threefold Cord: Cultivating Community in a World of Isolation” Gospel Reformation Network, gospelreformation.net (July 30, 2020).
- “The Duties of Civil Magistrates: Lessons from the Westminster Confession of Faith” Gospel Reformation Network, gospelreformation.net (April 21, 2020).
- “Sins of Omission” Tabletalk (December 2019), pp. 68–69.
- “Leading Them Well (Part 2)” Christward Collective, the online magazine of The Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, alliancenet.org/christward(December 10, 2018).
- “Keeping the Para- in Para-Church” Reformation 21, the online magazine of The Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, reformation21.org (December 7, 2018).
- Leading Them Well (Part 1)” Christward Collective, the online magazine of The Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, alliancenet.org/christward(November 2, 2018).
- “The Works of John Flavel: A New Edition” Reformation21, the online magazine of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, www.reformation21.org(August 15, 2018).
- “God’s Self-Sufficiency: Embracing the Reality that God Doesn’t Need You” Gospel Reformation Network, gospelreformation.net (August 4, 2018).
- “Prepping in Biblical Perspective” Reformation21, the online magazine of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, www.reformation21.org (November 1, 2016).
- “Instruct One Another” Tabletalk (March 2016), pp. 16–17.
- “How to Respond When You are Suffering” Crosswalk. Accessed at Crosswalk.com (February 2, 2016).
- “Uncensored: Daring to Embrace the Entire Bible from the Pulpit” Ministry Today (January/February 2016), pp. 48–54.
- “4 Reasons God Ordains Suffering” The Gospel Coalition (January 8, 2016).
- “I Was Embarrassed by the Bible” The Gospel Coalition (October 19, 2015).
- “Covering Up Creation” Christian Renewal (October 28, 2015), pp. 29–31.
- “Doctors Advised My Mom to Abort Me” Chattanooga Times Free Press (August 26, 2015), p. B7.
- “6 Real Life Scenarios for Youth Workers” Rooted. Accessed at rootedministry.com (June 1, 2015).
- “4 Reasons for Biblical Leadership Qualifications” The Christward Collective, accessed at christwardcollective.org (April 30, 2015).
- “The Second Commandment, Westminster, and Images of Jesus” The Christward Collective. Accessed at christwardcollective.org (March 31, 2015).
- “The Case for Paedobaptism” Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals. Accessed at PlaceForTruth.org (October 30, 2014).
- “The Good Use of God’s Law” Rooted. Accessed at rootedministry.com(September 18, 2014).
- “Para-Church Youth Ministry Cannot Replace the Local Church” Church Leaders. Accessed at churchleaders.com (May 22, 2014).
- “Faithful Youth Discipleship Material” Modern Reformation (May/June 2014), pp. 30–31.
- “Church Gimmicks and the Idol of Success” Credo Magazine (April 2014), pp. 18–26.
- “Why Para-Church Youth Ministry Cannot Replace the Local Church” Rooted. Accessed at rootedministry.com (May 1, 2014).
- “Why God Suffers His People: According to the Puritans” Modern Reformation 23:2 (March/April 2014), pp. 28–33.
- “Why Teens Compulsively Use Social Media: To be Known and Loved” Rooted. Accessed at rootedministry.com (March 6, 2014).
- “Four Common Misconceptions: A Pastor’s Perspective” Chattanooga Times Free Press (September 13, 2013), p. B9.
- “Why Does God Ordain Suffering? A Puritan’s Response” Evangelical Times accessed at evangelical-times.org (August 1, 2013).
- “Wine in the Lord’s Supper: A Reformed, Historical, and Biblical Appeal” Servants of Grace. Accessed at servantsofgrace.org(April 20, 2013).
- “The World’s Half-Truths for Teens: God Wants You to be Happy” Rooted. Accessed at rootedministry.com (February 25, 2013).
- “Remembering What’s Important: Student Ministry and the Sovereignty of God” Rooted. Accessed at rootedministry.com(November 19, 2012).
- “Youth Ministry by the Means of Grace” Modern Reformation 21:3 (May/June 2012), pp. 44–45.
- “Beyond Tricks & Gimmicks: Envisioning Youth Ministry through the Entertainment Haze” ByFaith 36 (May 2012), pp. 36–39.
- “Moralistic Therapeutic Deism: Not Just a Problem with Youth Ministry” The Gospel Coalition (April 9, 2012).
- “Give Up the Gimmicks, Youth Pastors” The Gospel Coalition (February 20, 2012).
- “The Christology of John Flavel” Puritan Reformed Journal 4:1 (January 2012), pp. 116–134.
- “John Flavel: The Lost Puritan” Puritan Reformed Journal 3:1 (January 2011), pp. 113–132.
- “Toward a Definition of ‘Puritan’ and ‘Puritanism’: A Study of Puritan Historiography” Churchman 122/4 (Winter 2008), pp. 297–314.
- “Throwing Stones: The Church’s Response to Pornography” Relevant Magazine accessed at relevantmagazine.com (December 20, 2007).