River Community Church. in Prairieville, Louisiana is prayerfully seeking an experienced Full-Time Pastor to lead our close-knit, presbyterian church located just outside of Baton Rouge. Our church desires to call a gifted, skillful, and effective preacher/teacher that is passionate about pastoral ministry and the people of his flock.
The ideal man for this role will partner with the Session to provide spiritual leadership and oversight of River Community Church. It is desired for this man to be theologically astute and that he places a high priority on Pastoral Ministry and care.
The successful candidate will be a mature, emotionally secure, humble, compassionate, and caring Christian man that fears God. He must have a fiery passion for the authority and sufficiency of God’s Word and value exegetical, expository preaching while remaining trustworthy, reliable, and upholding the biblical standards of his office.
- Worship, Preaching, & Teaching
- Coordinates and leads the regular planning of weekly worship services along with other worship services that take place throughout the year such as Christmas Eve and Good Friday
- Preaches expository sermons and sermon series from the whole counsel of the Word of God.
- Provides leadership/management of the preaching schedule when appropriate in tandem with the Session.
- Administers the sacraments of the church as deemed appropriate in partnership with the Session
- Pastoral Ministry and Care
- Is eager to provide effective and compassionate biblical counseling to church members in all seasons, situations, and needs. Is also able and willing to refer those in need to others with more professional training when appropriate.
- Provides Pastoral Care to church members in a variety of settings (e.g. Homes, Hospitals, etc).
- Regularly visits, develops, and maintains personal relationships with all members of the church.
- Congregational Growth, Teaching, & Development
- Oversees the leadership, training, and development for church officers when appropriate while working to train and raise up new leaders from within the body of the church.
- Works with the Session to develop, and participate in the teaching of, membership classes, weekly bible studies, Sunday School classes, etc.
- Provides guidance in the regular means of discipleship to members of the church in an effective, relatable, and impactful manner.
- Provides guidance and suggestions for growth in areas of church ministry in conjunction with the Session.
- Works alongside those in church ministries as a servant-leader and helps those volunteering in ministries feel important and valued.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with individuals, other churches, and organizations within the surrounding area.
- Leadership, Training, Administration, and Plurality of Elders
- Serves as the moderator of the session by preparing the agenda and pastoral report for monthly meetings.
- Collaborates with the Session while developing preaching and teaching schedules/themes that address the spiritual needs of the congregation.
- Maintains regular office hours in the church with oversight from the session.
- Oversees the leadership of part-time and full-time staff members of the church in cooperation with Session.
- Provides guidance and direction to church staff to achieve the strategic plan of River Community Church
- Leads the staff in regular discipleship and study.
- Provides yearly evaluations of each employee and regular feedback to staff to help them improve.
- Personal Responsibilities
- Sets aside daily time for prayer and the regular study of God’s Word outside of the time required for sermon preparation.
- Regularly meets and upholds the characteristics set forth for the office in 1 Timothy and Titus.
- Models personal spiritual growth and maturity by disciplined study, prayer, worship, humility, and outreach in all areas of their life.
- Humbly seeks regular mentorship, wisdom, and guidance from other Pastors, spiritual mentors, and Elders.
- Must be ordained or ordainable within the EPC, PCA, OPC, or other orthodox, conservative Presbyterian denominations.
- Holds a Master of Divinity Degree (MDiv) from an accredited theological seminary or a relevant, applicable course of study that meets denominational requirements for ordination.
- Has at least four years’ experience as a Pastor or leader within a church (As a Senior Pastor, Associate Pastor, or Elder).
- Has a strong sense of self-awareness, knowing his strengths and weaknesses, and is regularly being coached, mentored, and participating in further development to maintain effectiveness.
- Effectively communicates and teaches practical reformed theology from the smallest and most informal settings to corporate worship and formal settings.
- Their personal life bears the marks of dedication to living a holy life pleasing to God while upholding the Biblical qualifications for the office of Pastor in 1 Timothy and Titus.
River Community Church
Contact Name & Contact Info
Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC)
Description of Organization
River Community Church is a church of around 81 members (50 currently attending) located in the suburb of Prairieville, Louisiana south of the major city of Baton Rouge. Our proximity to both metropolitan and rural areas has led to Prairieville becoming one of the fastest-growing areas in Louisiana.
The church was planted in 2000 by First Presbyterian Church of Baton Rouge and eventually moved into its own building, establishing itself as a separate congregation in 2003. Our church building sits on 14 acres of land surrounded by numerous subdivisions. It contains a well-sized sanctuary, education wing with multiple classrooms, and offices for the Senior Pastor and staff.
Our church would be described as one built in the reformed, Presbyterian tradition. It affirms the Westminster Confession of Faith along with other statements on cultural and Biblical Issues
like The Nashville Statement, Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, The Statement on Social Justice & The Gospel.
For more information on River Community Church and the position please head to www.rivercommunity.org/pastorsearch.
River Community Church exists to glorify God, make disciples, grow in fellowship and community, and proclaim the truth of God’s Word as gospel-centered believers.
- Gospel-Centered: At River Community Church we seek to be Gospel-Centered in all areas of our own individual lives and our church. This meant that we live a life in reliance upon the blood-bought grace and promises which come from the good news of Jesus Christ’s life, death, and resurrection as written of in both the Old and New Testaments. Everything flows from this truth and defines who we are, leading us to embrace a life that displays and treasures it.
- Scriptural Basis: 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Hebrews 3:14; Hebrews 4:16; Romans 8:1-11; Hebrews 10:22; James 4:8; 1 Thessalonians 5:23; 2 Thessalonians 2:13-15; 2 Corinthians 3:18; Philippians 1:21; 1 Corinthians 15:3
- Worship: We hold a high view of the Biblical Triune God. He is the focus of our worship and we seek to make much of Him in all things. Within scripture He has commanded us to worship Him and prescribed how we are to do so. Therefore we worship God with purpose, not just in Sunday services, but also within our families, at home, in the community, in the workplace, and everywhere else in God’s creation.
- Scriptural Basis: 1 Corinthians 10:31; Psalm 8; Ephesians 3: 21; John 4:23; Romans 11:33-36; Colossians 1:15-17; Romans 12:1
- Discipleship: A Christian is more than just a convert, they are a disciple of Christ. At River Community Church a disciple is someone who is willing to submit to the discipline and instruction of Jesus Christ, grow and walk in the light and truth of His Word, and serve the local church. This happens through a committed membership to a local church under the shepherding care of elders, instruction and fellowship outside of Sunday worship, and active attendance each Sunday to hear the Word proclaimed.
- Scriptural Basis: John 17:14-19; 2 Timothy 2:2; Ephesians 4:11-14
- Community: At River Community Church we maintain that Scripture calls all disciples to be in loving, committed, Christian fellowship and community with one another. We are a group of individuals united by Christ that seek to foster genuine fellowship, mutual concern, and love in the life of the congregation. We believe that programs are no substitute for holy and compassionate relationships as we aim to be what God calls us to be: a family of families that naturally and practically care for and disciple one another in the good times and the bad.
- Scriptural Basis: Acts 2:42-47; 1 Thessalonians 5:14-15; 2 Timothy 2:22; Psalm 133:1; 1 John 4:11; John 13:34-35; Ephesians 4:16; Hebrews 10:23-25; 2 Corinthians 8:3-5; 1 Corinthians 12:25-27; Ephesians 2:19-22
- Outreach & Mission: As stewards of the Good News of Jesus Christ, we seek to serve the kingdom of God and build up the Church in our local community, our nation, and throughout the world. It is achieved through Christian education, evangelism, church planting, theological education, mercy ministries, and much more. This is the work of the local and global church, to make disciples of all nations.
- Scriptural Basis: Acts 1:8; Matthew 28:19-20; 2 Timothy 2:2; Mark 16:15; Matthew 5:13-16