By completing the 11-credit Old Testament certificate, a student will have gained a foundational understanding of the historical setting, literary style, theme, purpose, and message of each of the 39 Old Testament books. While the Hebrew certificate is not a prerequisite for the Old Testament certificate, a knowledge of biblical Hebrew will enhance the coursework in the Old Testament certificate.
- Genesis – Deuteronomy
- Joshua – Esther
- Isaiah – Malachi
How It Works
Deepen your understanding of the Bible and theology in a way that suits your unique needs and lifestyle.
12 weeks or less per online course
Online or Residential
What You'll Learn
- Practice applying hermeneutical and exegetical principles to the study of the Old Testament
- Interact with various interpretive methods: historical, literary, textual, source, and form criticism
- Explore the Old Testament’s biblical-theological categories and their relation to systematic theology
- Grow in your appreciation of the relationship between the Old Testament and New Testament
- Gain facility with using special introduction, academic commentaries, and other secondary literature written from a variety of perspectives in order to enable continued study
- Learn to understand the meaning of a text to its original audience and articulate its implications for the church in the present
By paying up front, all at once, students will receive a 35% discount.
Over 12 Months
By electing to pay in 12 monthly installments, students will receive a 30% discount.
Over 18 Months
When paying in 18 monthly installments, students will receive a 25% discount.
Take the Next Step
Apply online and receive your acceptance letter.
Grow as you study the scriptures and deepen your love for God.
Take what you learn and leverage it for the good of Christ's church.
Who Should Enroll in the
Old Testament Certificate
|Sunday School Teachers|
|Bible Study Leaders|