Westminster Theological Seminary, Ph.D.
Columbia Theological Seminary, D.Min.
Columbia Theological Seminary, M.Div.
Covenant College, B.A.
About Dr. Fortson
Dr. Fortson joined the faculty of RTS as Associate Professor of Church History in 1997. Prior to RTS, he served as Assistant Professor of Ministry and the Director of Ministry Program at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. Before his teaching career, Dr. Fortson was a pastor for nine years; he continues his pastoral ministry through teaching, preaching in local churches and leadership in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. In addition to his work at RTS, he is a visiting professor at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and lectures in other venues throughout the region on church history.
- Unchanging Witness: The Consistent Christian Teaching on Homosexuality in Scripture and Tradition (B&H Academic, 2016)
- The Presbyterian Story: Origins and Progress of a Reformed Tradition(Presbyterian Lay Committee, 2013)
- The Presbyterian Creed: A Confessional Tradition in America, 1729-1870 (Paternoster Press, 2008)
- Colonial Presbyterianism: Old Faith in a New Land (Pickwick Publications Princeton Theological Monograph Series, 2007), for which he served as general editor and contributor.
- Co-editor of the Westminster Larger Catechism in Modern English(Summertown Co., 2004)
ADDITIONAL PUBLICATION RESOURCES
- Westminster Theological Journal and Journal of Presbyterian History