Covenant College, B.A.
Covenant Theological Seminary, MDiv
Concordia Theological Seminary, S.T.M.
Westminster Theological Seminary, Ph.D.
About Dr. Belcher
Dr. Belcher is the John D. and Frances M. Gwin Professor of Old Testament at RTS Charlotte and the Academic Dean at both RTS Atlanta and RTS New York City. He is an ordained minister in the PCA and pastored an urban nondenominational church in Rochester, NY for ten years before pursuing the Ph.D. This pastoral experience in an unusual and challenging setting gives him great insight into the practical, modern issues that will be faced by future pastors studying with him at RTS. He graduated from Covenant College and received his M.Div from Covenant Seminary. He also received an S.T.M. from Concordia Theological Seminary, and his Ph.D. is from Westminster Theological Seminary. He has served as stated supply for numerous churches in the area since coming to RTS Charlotte in 1995.
- Why Does the God of the Old Testament Seem So Violent and Hateful? (Christian Focus, 2023)
- The Fulfillment of the Promises of God: An Explanation of Covenant Theology (Christian Focus, 2020)
- Finding Favour in the Sight of God: A Theology of Wisdom Literature (NSBT; IVP, 2018)
- “The Supernatural Creation of Man: The Historicity of Adam and Eve,” in Creation and Change by Douglas Kelly (Christian Focus, 2017 revised)
- Ecclesiastes: A Mentor Commentary (Christian Focus, 2017)
- Job: The Mystery of Suffering and God’s Sovereignty (Christian Focus, 2017)
- Prophet, Priest, and King (P&R, 2016)
- Genesis: The Beginning of God’s Plan of Salvation (Christian Focus, 2012)
- “The King, the Law, and Righteousness in the Psalms” in The Law is Not of Faith: Essays on Works and Grace in the Mosaic Covenant (P & R Publishing, 2008)
- “Suffering” and “Thanksgiving, Psalms of” in The Dictionary of Old Testament: Wisdom, Writings, and Poetry (eds. T. Longman and P. Enns; Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity, 2008)
- The Messiah and the Psalms (Ross-shire: Christian Focus, 2006)