Texas A&M University, B.S.
Westminster Theological Seminary, M.A.R., Th.M.
University of Durham, Ph.D.
About Dr. Dunson
Ben Dunson is a Texas native who completed his undergraduate degree in political science at Texas A&M University (2002). He then received an M.A.R. (Biblical Studies) and Th.M. (New Testament) at Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia (2007, 2008) and a Ph.D. in New Testament from the University of Durham (2011).
Near the completion of his doctoral studies Dr. Dunson took up the position of Sessional Assistant Professor of Religion and Theology at Redeemer University College in Ontario, Canada. From 2013-2016 he was Assistant Professor of New Testament at Reformation Bible College in Sanford, Florida. Immediately prior to joining RTS he served at Grace Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Stuart, Florida.
In his teaching Dr. Dunson’s desire is to glorify God by unveiling the riches of God’s grace and kindness to his children in Jesus Christ in such a way that not only informs the mind, but also takes root deep in the heart. His hope is that his students will leave his classes knowing and loving Jesus all the more, and therefore loving the church he gave his life to save.
Dr. Dunson’s primary research interests are Pauline theology, biblical theology, and the relationship between biblical and systematic theology.
He is married to Martha and they have four sons. Ben and Martha (a Dallas native) met at Texas A&M while attending the same PCA church and being active in Reformed University Fellowship.
- Individual and Community in Paul’s Letter to the Romans. Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament 2.332. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2012.
ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- “‘The law evidently is not contrary to faith’: Galatians and the Republication of the Covenant of Works,” Westminster Theological Journal79.2 (2017).
- “N.T. Wright’s Paul and the Faithfulness of God: A Review Article,” Puritan Reformed Journal 8.2 (2016): 212-40.
- “Do Bible Words Have Bible Meaning? Distinguishing Between Imputation as Word and Doctrine,” Westminster Theological Journal 75.2 (2013): 239-60.
- “Faith in Romans: The Salvation of the Individual or Life in Community?” Journal for the Study of the New Testament 34.1 (2011): 19-46.
- “The Individual and Community in Twentieth and Twenty-First Century Pauline Scholarship,” Currents in Biblical Research 9.1 (2010): 63-97.
- “Reason and the Righteous Life in 4 Maccabees and Romans 12,” in Reading Romans in Context: Second Temple Judaism. Edited by Ben C. Blackwell, John K. Goodrich and Jason Maston. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2015.
- “Living Hope,” Tabletalk Magazine, July 2016.
- “The Purpose of the Parables (Matt. 13:10-15),” Tabletalk Magazine, October 2015.
- “The Kingdom of God in the Old Testament: the Prophetic Hope,” Ligonier Ministries blog, June 2015.
- “The Kingdom of God in the Old Testament: From Abraham to Israel,” Ligonier Ministries blog, May 2015.
- “The Kingdom of God in the Old Testament: Kingship and Creation,” Ligonier Ministries blog, April 2015.
- “What is the Kingdom of God?” Ligonier Ministries blog, March 2015.
- Solomon’s Sin and Our Sin,” Ligonier Ministries blog, January 2015.
- “David, Goliath, and You?” Ligonier Ministries blog, August 2014.
- “Dare to be a Daniel?” Ligonier Ministries blog, June 2014.
- “A Dwelling Place for God,” Tabletalk Magazine, November 2013.
- 37 entries in Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2013.