Youth & Young Adults Discipleship and Outreach Pastor
Position Summary: The Director/Pastor for Youth and Young Adult Outreach and Discipleship cultivates the multiplying of disciples for ages 13–30 (High school, college, and young professionals). This position is part of a team, under the direction of the Sr. Pastor, which is responsible for ensuring that all Cornerstone ministries thrive.
He/she accomplishes this by:
- Leading the high school, young professional (Lighthouse), and college ministry teams. This includes the ministries, leadership development, strategies, and pathways for these ministries to flourish.
- High School Youth Ministry (70%):
- Lead, equip, and inspire the HS Youth Ministry team to multiply mature and equipped disciples such that youth move from unbelief to belief, belief to maturity, maturity to ministry multiplication.
- Help parents to prepare, recognize, and respond with the gospel to the challenges facing their youth.
- Young Professionals Ministry (15%):
- Lead and cultivate discipleship ministries to multiply mature and equipped disciples such that young adults move from unbelief to belief, belief to maturity, maturity to ministry multiplication.
- College Ministry (5%):
- Partner with area InterVarsity staff to connect college students into the life of our church.
- Others duties as assigned (10%), including:
- Shepherding: Facilitate the elders in meeting the shepherding needs of young adults, including crisis needs, on-going spiritual health, church discipline, and following up with absentee members.
- Preaching (if ordained or ordainable): Preach sermons that faithfully exposit and apply the grace of God as revealed in Scripture.
- The preceding is illustrative of the work that will be performed by this position and is not intended to be all-inclusive. Duties and responsibilities will be added, subtracted, or reallocated as necessary to fulfill the mission of Cornerstone. All positions are reviewed and renewed annually.
- High School Youth Ministry (70%):
- Led a growing and fruitful high school youth ministry.
- Experienced in leading youth and young adult discipleship and outreach ministries.
- Trained and experienced in Life-on-Life Discipleship and the Journey curriculum.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in the discipleship philosophy articulated in the Master Plan of Evangelism by Robert Coleman.
- Completed Sonship and led others through it.
- The gospel is daily manifested in his/her life and is the driver of spiritual growth.
- Deep love for Christ’s church and His people.
- Dependent upon and guided by prayer.
- Personality and gifting:
- Evangelistically competent and fruitful.
- Effective in multiplying mature and equipped youth and young adult disciples.
- Efficient in planning, organization, and execution; yet adaptable.
- Excellent communicator in person, via email, and in up-front speaking.
- Able to handle crisis situations and biblically resolve conflict.
- Seminary trained. If male, ordained or ordainable in the PCA.
- Promotes the vision and leadership of the Sr. Pastor.
- Fully aligns with and models Cornerstone’s vision, mission, and values.
- Works well with and encourages other team members, especially in areas of ministry collaboration.
- A coachable, teachable self-starter who is self-motivated and hard-working.
- Works best in a mission- and outcomes-focused approach to ministry.
- Competent with leveraging technology for ministry advancement.
Workload and Accountability Structure: This position is salaried and expected to average 50-55 hours/week (including Sunday activities). This position is a Director or Assistant Pastor position under the Sr. Pastor and has a peer relationship with our other “Disciple” staff: Pastor of Discipleship and Director of Children’s Ministries.
If Interested: Send resume, Ministerial Data Form, family photo, and philosophy of ministry accompanied with a cover letter to TE Walt Nilsson: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cover letter should be personalized for this position and should answer 4 questions:
- What is your sense of calling?
- What gives you the most joy in ministry?
- Why are you interested in this position and looking for a position now?
- Why do you think you and your family are a good fit for Cornerstone?
Cornerstone Presbyterian Church
Contact Name & Contact Info
Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Lexington Park, MD
Description of Organization
Cornerstone exists to glorify and enjoy God by growing a loving body of faithful disciples that is redeeming Southern Maryland and the world for Jesus Christ. We are a gospel-centered, kingdom driven, prayer-inspired, incarnate authentic community. Cornerstone is a dynamic congregation of young families with a total membership (adults and children) of ~550, where 20% of our membership have joined by adult profession of faith or reaffirmation of faith after a long absence from church involvement. Our Sunday attendance averages (pre-COVID) about 380 and has grown 58% in the last five years. God has positioned Cornerstone to multiply and send disciples around the globe by locating us in a transient community (50% turnover every three years due to job transfers). Yet, however long God has someone at Cornerstone (on average about 5 years), we believe that they are with us during this season of life for the multiplication of disciples, the redemption of God’s people, and the restoration of this community. Cornerstone actively engages in restoring brokenness around our community through our transformational ministries and around the world through very active missions partnerships.
Cornerstone is located in California, Maryland, beautifully surrounded by the Chesapeake Bay, Potomac River, and Patuxent River. Our members are principally employed by the Naval Aviation Systems Command at Naval Air Station Patuxent River (NAS Pax River). NAS Pax River is the US military’s premier aviation research, development, and testing complex, but its workforce, surprisingly, is only 10% active-duty military. In addition, we are located in a county where, according to thearda.org, 93% of residents have no evangelical affiliation, and 63% have no religious affiliation of any kind. God has positioned us with a great opportunity and calling to make disciples who are redeeming their spheres of influence!Contact Via Email