Student Ministry & Music Director/ Assistant to the Pastor
General Summary: This ministry role will have a focus on youth ministry and music ministry, but it is not limited to them alone. It is adjustable for either non-ordained or ordination-track individuals.
Accountability: To the Fairview Church session and pastor.
- Student Ministry
- Direct the youth program with a focus on students both inside the church and in outreach to those outside the church.
- Provide ministry to youth, seeking to build them in number and in Christian maturity through outreach, Scripture, teaching, worship, and personal discipleship.
- Direct ministry volunteers by conducting planning meetings, training sessions, and a time of prayer for the youth.
- Plan and Lead the Rock (our Wednesday night Youth Program)
- Minister to, mentor, and pray for the youth. Follow up on new or absentee youth.
- Pursue student ministry outreach, especially in coordination with current outreach efforts such as Good News Clubs (Child Evangelism Fellowship ministry) & Covenant Kids (Fairview’s children’s ministry program).
- Assist with Ascension Presbytery snow camp and summer camp programs
- Lead Sunday morning musical worship, lead rehearsals as needed, and involve church members in the music, all under the direction of the Pastor.
- Disciple as able and pray for the musicians.
- Put on music ministry events, like a worship night, as able and desired.
- Outward Mission
- Participate with VBS and plan/lead after-VBS youth activities.
- Participate with mission activities and mission trips as able.
- General Ministry Tasks
- Participate in weekly staff meetings
- Conduct work at least three times a week at the church office (e.g. M,W,Th Mornings)
- Preach, lead worship and perform other tasks as needed for completing licensure and ordination.
- Participate or lead other Fairview ministry opportunities as able.
- Share in the general fellowship life of the congregation.
Evaluation: Occasional evaluations with the pastor and session
Terms: Fairview Church commits to pay $2500 (gross pay) per month in bi-monthly payments. Contract is renewable.
Benefits: 2 weeks’ vacation (which includes two Sundays).
Work-related mileage will be paid at the standard government allowance for ministry work. The person in this position is encouraged to spend ample time with youth, and so ministry expenses for outings can be reimbursed. In general, these expenses are reimbursable for the ministry assistant, but not for the youth, and the assistant is encouraged to find low-cost or free outings as much as possible. Exceptions to cover a youth’s expenses can be made for a youth who cannot participate in a youth event for financial reasons.
Candidates seeking ordination will be provided the oversight, training, and mentorship necessary to be licensed and ordained by the Ascension Presbytery.
Please provide two to four weeks’ notice if needing to leave the position.
This ministry role will have a focus on youth ministry and music ministry, but it is not limited to them alone. It is adjustable for either non-ordained or ordination-track individuals.
Fairview Reformed Presbyterian Church (PCA)
Contact Name & Contact Info
Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Description of Organization
My name is Pastor Jeff Zehnder, Head Pastor of Fairview Reformed Presbyterian Church in Western Pennsylvania, a PCA body. Feel free to look up our church online. Our church is looking for a new staff member.
We are an active church with many ministries. And we need some ministry help. We are looking for a man to serve in ministry in multiple ways, but his primary calling will be leading our student ministries at Fairview. Ideally, musical worship leading would be his other labor, via guitar or piano.1 But other possibilities of ministerial work could include: Helping design Sunday worship services, occasional Sunday worship leadership, occasional preaching, outreach ministry or leading mission trips, being a ministry coordinator for our many ministries, or something else in which the candidate has a particular gift or skill that would fill a need here. Fairview has one of the strongest Reformed youth groups for our county right now, with servant-oriented youth and youth leaders.
We are looking for someone with a calling to students right now. Either non-ordained individuals (vocational school or college graduates) or seminary graduates both can apply. One reason we seek a recent seminary graduate is that we believe we are positioned to provide a perfect place for a new pastor to start a lifetime of ministry. We have a relatively healthy, social church with a supportive, united session. We can provide a means toward ordination, should the candidate desire it. Lastly, one should expect a fair amount of contact with the head pastor, with co-laboring and mentoring as he is able to provide it. Character matters greatly to us. We are looking for someone who is Godward in his life, God-dependent in prayer, authentically loves God’s word and loves to teach God’s word, highly responsible, self-initiating, able to facilitate a team of volunteer leaders, and either comes from a small town life or is willing to be molded by God to meet that calling. But again: someone who senses a call to serve students right now.
Our location is both rural and industrial in way of life, with bushy trees, woods, rivers, creeks, peaceful farms, old and new factories, and a collection of smaller rural towns, about an hour from Pittsburgh and 35 minutes from Geneva College. Fairview is a mission- and teaching-oriented fellowship. We do not expect perfection. But we believe in faithfulness.
Thank you for your interest! Please apply by sending a resume and cover letter to our committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure your resume has references for us to contact. A sound file or link to a delivered sermon or message would be a great help.