Reference Services Specialist (LIS Associate) – RTS Charlotte Library
This is a full-time, non-professional library position primarily responsible for reference services. It also entails some oversight over circulation and related services.
The Reference Services Specialist reports directly to the Library Director. Duties will include but not necessarily be limited to:
- Provide proactive reference assistance to students in using library resources, print and electronic. Refer difficult reference requests to the library director as needed. (ca. 20%)
- Participate in both formal (group) and informal bibliographic instruction regarding all library resources with students, in-person and online. (ca. 20%)
- Supervise all inter-library loan functions. (ca. 20%)
- Manage incoming periodical issues as well as existing print periodicals; assist students with access to online periodicals. (ca. 20%)
- Help oversee circulation activities to ensure that materials are accounted for properly (this includes oversight of student workers) (ca. 20%)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
*time allocation percentages are approximations and vary
Relationship to other Staff
This position reports directly to the Library Director.
This position is responsible for managing student employees of the Library in conjunction with the Library Director.
Hours and Benefits
This position is a full-time, salaried position. Work hours on campus are normally from 8 AM – 5 PM, M-F. All full-time employees are offered health insurance and a retirement plan. Details of that plan are available upon request through our Payroll & Benefits Administrator.
Vacation, sick, and personal days: All staff are given 2 weeks of accrued vacation, 5 days of sick time, and 4 personal days. Employees are allowed to roll over up to 10 unused vacation and 10 unused sick days to the following year. Maximum days per year can be 20 sick and 20 vacation days. After 11 years of service, the employee is entitled to one additional vacation day up to 2 additional weeks per year worked.
Send resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone or in-person inquiries.
Competencies & Skills
- Some academic library experience is strongly preferred (MLIS is not required for this position).
- Ability to interact with students and faculty in a friendly manner.
- Familiarity with theological resources, preferably in the Presbyterian, Reformed, and Evangelical tradition.
- Attention to detail in all aspects of work.
- Punctuality and dependability in all aspects of work.
- Strong computing skills required – no exceptions. Experience with MS Word, Excel, and other MS Office programs strongly preferred, including MS Access.
- Ability to perform multiple kinds of duties within one day with frequent interruptions.
- Willingness to learn new skills as necessary.
Reformed Theological Seminary Charlotte Library
Contact Name & Contact Info
Description of Organization
www.rts.eduContact Via Email