Assistant Pastor of Worship
Purpose: To assist Senior Pastor in developing and overseeing Word Driven, Christ Centered and Reformed minded worship with particular focus upon music and liturgy within the scope of the CCC Philosophy of Worship and Music. Expectations in the accomplishment of this will vary depending upon experience, abilities, and hours hired for.
- Rehearsals & Services
- 1 rehearsal per week (1.5-2 hours)
- 2 services per week (9:00 & 11:00 on Sunday mornings)
- Hours, Compensation & Vacation:
- 15 hours week (4-5 hours on Sunday, 2 hours for Rehearsals, 7-8 hours preparation, coaching, collaboration, creativity)
- The average of 15 hours per week is still expected if/when we transition to one service
- $15,000 – $20,000 per year (depending upon education, experience, and abilities)
- 4 Sunday’s off per year (negotiable from case to case)
- Leadership & Ministry
- Provide leadership and direction to the music ministry that is consistent with CCC’s values and philosophy and equip/disciple music team members accordingly
- Oversee and assist the development of a Biblical, reformed philosophy of music ministry that is creatively applied from the youngest to the eldest who is involved
- Recruit, train, develop and mobilize Team(s) of vocalist and instrumentalist (see Call requirements)
- Pastorally shepherd and encourage a devotional, worshipful unity among all music ministry leadership, volunteers and participants.
- Lead weekly rehearsals for volunteer vocal and instrumental teams
- Lead weekly teams in execution of worship music on Sunday
- Work with others to strengthen overall music and worship experience
- Participate in worship leadership training as directed by Senior Pastor
- Lead Teams and church to understand and embrace philosophy of music in worship
- Lead Teams and church to recognize the place of music and liturgy in worship
- Lead Teams and church towards full participation of heart, mind and soul in worship
- Maintain a committee that reviews music, auditions new members, etc.
- Arrangements that enhance the substance of our songs
- In addition to music, consider how to incorporate and utilize the gifts of visual and technological artists into our services and church
- Participate in and design worship liturgy as assigned by Senior Pastor
- Collaborate: In addition to musical collaboration,
- Preach, Teach and Administer the Sacraments when called upon by the Session (if TE)
- Meet with Senior Pastor as directed and needed for encouragement, equipping and planning
- Meet with Session as directed in order to report your work to them (monthly ministry hour logs/descriptions reported for Session meeting each month)
- Organize, study and evaluate current scope of CCC music
- Organize and implement “new” ancient and modern songs into the CCC scope (4-6 or more) – More if discerned possible by Leader
- 1-2 contemporary
- 3 Getty/Sovereign Grace/City Lights genre
- 1 old traditional
- Rationale: Two seasons of choir at Easter/Christmas leaving really 8-9 months for new song implementation).
- Oversee and organize offertory’s, prelude’s and postlude’s
- Oversee and plan music for special services such as Christmas seasons, Christmas Eve, Maundy & Easter
- Oversee/delegate scheduling of instrumental and vocal teams and lead forward towards most excellent model that also keeps in mind the incorporation of lay workers and their gifts
- Prepare music for volunteer teams at level that still develops their gifts
- Prepare annual music budget requests based on the annual ministry objectives, and provide oversight for budgeted funds
- Oversee purchase, maintenance, and improvement of instruments for the music department, collaborating with staff and the deacons as necessary
- Purchase music for the music department
- Keep CCLI rights maintained (May be help here from Administrative Assistant)
- If skill set is present, give input on sound, mixing, channels, etc.
- Music audit. Go through sheet music & see what we use & don’t use.
- Maintain a music committee that reviews music, auditions new members, etc.
- Instrument/Equipment Inventory. Maintain current instrument roster & equipment roster
- Fulfill other responsibilities as assigned by Senior Pastor that relate to worship and arts
- The Assistant Pastor of Worship will be under the direct supervision of the Senior Pastor with ultimate accountability resting with the Session
- There will be evaluations as directed by the Session
- Bachelor’s degree
- Music or Worship degree and/or specialized training is preferred
- Candidates possessing or pursuing theological training are preferred
- Must be able to work within and out of the doctrinal standards of the Presbyterian Church in America. Exceptions to the Standards must be made known prior to hire.
- Choral training and/or experience would be a bonus
- At least 2 yrs experience participating in blended or folk/contemporary worship setting
- Preferred minimum of one year leading in blended or folk/contemporary worship setting
- Proven ability in working well with others
- Preference for those with experience training and developing other music team members
- A philosophy of ministry in music that resonates with CCC Philosophy
- A preferred style and appreciation of blending the ancient and the modern in an appropriate and excellent way
- Character & Gifts
- 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 Qualifications
- Sound in Doctrine (Reformed minded)
- Sound in faith, life and spiritual maturity (not a recent convert)
- Able to teach (specific to teaching worship and training teams)
- Above reproach & Respectable (inside and outside of the church)
- Disciplined & Self-controlled (in all areas including purity, anger, and drinking)
- Faithful husband and father (if married w/ children)
- Coach, Collaborator, and Creator
- Gifted vocalist whose love for singing unto God is contagious
- Gifted musician who leads the music ministry in a manner that is faithful to Reformed ideology and yet appreciative of a broad range of worship styles (our stylistic center at this point is a modern folk (i.e. Getty, Indelible Grace/RUF emphasis).
- Preferred strength in at least one instrument (preferred guitarist/pianist)
- Strong and winsome leader
- Necessary administrative abilities
- Works well with others
- 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 Qualifications
Christ Community Church, Simpsonville
Contact Name & Contact Info
Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Description of Organization
700 Harrison Bridge Road, Simpsonville, SC 29681
Who is CCC?
We are a growing PCA church in Simpsonville, SC (Greenville area). We praise the Lord for a net increase in our membership of 100% over the last ten years totaling over 300 plus communing and non-communing members today. We currently have three full time staff members, and six part-time positions (Assistant to the Pastor, Admin Assistant, Children’s Director, Director of Assimilation, Facility Manager and Assistant Pastor of Worship). We are currently looking to replace our Part time Assistant Pastor of Worship who has been called into church planting. Our mission is to “Glorify God as we make and deploy mature and equipped disciples of Jesus Christ.” We are a Christ-centered, Word-Driven, and Reformed-Minded body committed to Worship, Community and Mission. We are at an exciting time in the life of our church with transitions taking place that will impact the church for years to come.
Our Defining Attributes: We are a Word-Driven, Christ-Centered, Reformed-Minded church
- We are a WORD-DRIVEN We are convinced that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testament (aka Holy Bible) are the inerrant and infallible Word of God (completely true, trustworthy, and authoritative for faith and practice). Thus, we believe all of life should be interpreted through the lenses of the Holy Bible, that we might apply the wisdom of God to life’s joys, challenges, and sorrows, in honest, encouraging, and committed relationships.
- We are a CHRIST-CENTERED All of the Scriptures point us to the person and work of Jesus Christ, the only Savior of sinners. Thus, our worship and work build from, center around, and point to our Lord Jesus Christ.
- We are a REFORMED-MINDED While we recognize that the church universal is broader than “Reformed Presbyterians”, we do believe that Reformed Presbyterianism is an excellent expression of Biblical church government and theology as it is built upon the Scriptures and strengthened out of the historic Reformation. We are connected to the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), the largest Reformed, Bible-believing Presbyterian denomination in the USA. An excellent summation of Reformed theology can be found in the Westminster Confession of Faith.
Christ Community Church Philosophy of Music (adapted from Bethlehem Baptist in Minneapolis, MN)
- Word-driven.The content of our singing and praying and welcoming and preaching and poetry should always conform to the truth of Scripture. But more than that, the content of God's Word should be woven through all we do in worship and will be the ground of all our appeal to authority.
- God-Christ-centeredness.We put a high priority on the vertical focus of our Sunday morning service. The ultimate aim is to experience God in such a way that he is glorified in our affections.
- Reformed Minded. We will appeal in our singing and liturgy most often to those Biblical truths that are so well articulated in the Reformed faith.
- Expecting the powerful presence of God.We do not just direct ourselves toward him. We earnestly seek his drawing near according to the promise of James 4:8. We believe that in worship God draws near to us in power, and makes himself known and felt for our good and for the salvation of unbelievers in the midst.
- Head and heart. The elements of our worship service should aim at kindling and carrying deep, strong, real emotions toward God, especially joy, but should not manipulate people's emotions by failing to appeal to clear thinking about spiritual things based on shareable evidences outside ourselves. Our services are thematically planned out but our flow is centered around the gospel that we are to always have before us along with the dialogue between God and His people.
- Earnestness and intensity.We will try to avoid being a trite, flippant, superficial, or frivolous, but instead will aim to set an example of reverence and passion and wonder and broken-hearted joy.
- Authentic communication.We utterly renounce all sham, deceit, hypocrisy, pretense, affectation, and posturing. We do not pursue the atmosphere of artistic or oratorical performance, but the atmosphere of a radically personal encounter with God and truth. We desire God’s people to be active participants reflective of a banquet hall opposed to spectators which is reflective of a concert hall.
- The manifestation of God and the common good.We expect and hope and pray (according to 1 Cor. 12:7) that our focus on the manifesting of God is good for people and that a spirit of love for each other is not incompatible with, but necessary to authentic worship. To demonstrate this love, we may at times, defer in love to musical expressions that are reflective of various portions of our congregation and the community around us though not near our stylistic center.
- Un-distracting excellence.We will try to sing and play and pray and preach in such a way that people's attention will not be diverted from the substance by shoddy ministry nor by excessive finesse, elegance, refinement or sentiment. Natural, un-distracting excellence will let the truth and beauty of God shine through. We will invest in equipment good enough to be un-distracting in transmitting heartfelt truth.
- The mingling of historic and contemporary music. No church or service can be all things to all people. But we do not value stylistic narrowness. While we have a stylistic center, we are willing to flex when appropriate to the worship of God and theme of the service towards variant styles. We believe there are affections owing to God that different tunes and different texts and different genres may awaken better than others. We will strive to be who we are without exalting our own tastes as the standard of excellence or power. We will see God’s guidance in each worship setting to be both indigenous and stretching.
Interested candidates should email resume to: email@example.com Or call Paul Sanders at 864-431-6688Contact Via Email