Pastor for Family Discipleship
For the glory of God and the building up of the Body of Christ, Pastors at Ashley River are responsible to bring the Word of God to bear upon the life of the congregation. They do this publicly and in private. They minister to help members grow in worship and discipleship.
As a pastor, the Pastor for Family Discipleship and Student Ministry serves in community with the other pastors and ministry staff and reports to the Senior Pastor. The Senior Pastor oversees the vision, mission, and administrative structure of the church.
Ministry of the Word & Prayer
- Preach the Word (2 Timothy 4:2; Acts 6:4; John 21:15-17).
- Pray for the congregation (Acts 6:4).
- Assist the Senior Pastor in modeling relational discipleship.
Pastoral Care & Shepherding the Flock
- Shepherd his family (1 Timothy 3:2, 4).
- Shepherd the flock of God (1 Peter 5:1-4).
- Provide vision, direction, and oversight for the ARBC student ministry.
- Give particular care and attention to the following areas of oversight:
- Help equip parents to effectively disciple their children.
- Coordinate (with other staff) the oversight of family discipleship.
- Recruit, build, and mentor a team of volunteers to serve in student ministry.
- Promote an environment where students feel connected to each other and the entire church family.
- Seek to integrate youth ministry into all phases of church life to create a culture that is intentionally intergenerational.
- Facilitate fellowship, worship, biblical teaching, and discipleship among our students.
- Pursue philosophically-aligned ministry and mission opportunities for our students
- Invest in and engage relationally with students and their families.
- Provide biblical counseling and spiritual direction to parents and students as needed.
- Ensure a safe and healthy student ministry environment, including abiding by all ARBC safety protocols, policies, and procedures.
- Provide clear, regular communication to parents and students.
- Develop a yearly student ministry calendar, coordinated with the overall church calendar, that helps fulfill our identity and mission as a church.
- Promote the unity and vision of ARBC by participating in staff and leadership meetings.
- Carefully plan and manage the Student Ministry budget, as well as budgets for other assigned areas of oversight.
Theological Vision & Christ-Centered Mission
- Embrace the vision & mission for our church: “We are a gospel-centered local church committed to Christ-centered worship and life-on-life discipleship for a global mission.”
- Embrace the core commitments of our church:
- Christ-centered Worship
- Life-on-life Discipleship
- Sufficiency of Scripture
- Holy Spirit Power
- Global Mission
- Support the Senior Pastor in leading and collaborating with church leaders in casting ongoing vision and mission to the members.
- Effectively communicate Christ-centered vision and mission to the members.
Advance of the Gospel
- Model relational disciple-making.
- Lead us in community connection and evangelism by being intentional in interactions and conversations with non-Christians.
- Lead the church by example in developing relationships with non-Christians in our community and speaking the gospel winsomely.
- Assist in the administrative oversight of the church.
- Assist in the administrative oversight of other specific ministries as needed.
Presupposition: candidate meets the requirements of 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1
Philosophy of ministry: someone committed to leading and shepherding a congregation with the Word, through a distinctly gospel-focused lens
Gifts: teaching, discipleship, encouragement, with a particular focus on family and youth discipleship
- Must be a born-again, baptized believer
- Must demonstrate by life & ministry the qualifications set forth in 1 Tim 3:1-7 & Titus 1:6-9
- Must affirm the Baptist Faith and Message (2000)
- Must possess the spiritual gifts and maturity appropriate for this position, including teaching (Ephesians 4:11), shepherding (Ephesians 4:11), exhortation (Romans 12:8), faith (1 Corinthians 12:9) administration (1 Corinthians 12:28), leadership (Romans 12:8), and discernment (1 Corinthians 12:10)
- Willing to become a committed, engaged member of Ashley River Baptist Church
- Should engage in contemporary issues from a biblical perspective
- Should be gifted to relate to people of diverse demographics
- Should have formal or informal ministry experience and have earned at least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent training
- Should thrive within a team environment—with church ministry staff, administrative team, and volunteers
Ashley River Baptist Church
Contact Name & Contact Info
Southern Baptist Convention (SBC)
Description of Organization
We are a gospel-centered local church committed to Christ-centered worship and life-on-life discipleship for a global mission. We are a pastor-led, congregationally-governed, deacon-served Baptist church that ministers in friendly cooperation with the Southern Baptist Convention. We are a growing congregation with weekly worship attendance around 400. The rich history of Ashley River includes a strong commitment to community outreach and world missions but has also been marked by ups and downs along our 77-year path to today. We are excited about the ways that we see God at work in our congregation—uniting us by his Spirit, renewing our vision, and leading us by his Word. We have a wide diversity of ages, backgrounds, and personality types. We love the way God is transforming our congregation and pray that he continues to make us a place where all people feel embraced, loved, and welcomed, not just by our words of welcome but also by the culture itself.Contact Via Email