Pastor of Discipleship and Biblical Counseling
Living Water Church is seeking a Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling to serve as an integral member of the Elder Team. Alongside fellow elders, the Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling is responsible for leading the execution of the church mission of forming passionate followers of Jesus by proclaiming the gospel of the glory of God. As a member of the Preaching Team, he preaches the Word of God on rotation, oversees the new-member assimilation process, Community Groups, and the discipleship and biblical counseling ministries. The Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling also supervises staff responsible for music and production.
The Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling reports directly to the Elder Team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Serve as a member of the Elder Team, participating in vision, mission, and strategy planning; organizational development projects; ministry planning; shepherding; and prayer
- Study, prepare, and preach sermons (i.e., 17-20 Sundays per year) that are gospel- centered, expositional, doctrinally rich, reformed, and experiential
- Guard the doctrine of the church, including our basic beliefs and our theological distinctives as far as they agree with the Word of God
- Administer the ordinances of Baptism and The Lord’s Supper
- Help drive the vision, mission, and ministry strategies of Living Water Church
- Design, develop, and implement an assimilation process that leads to membership,ongoing discipleship in community, and joyful service and outreach
- Design, develop, and implement a church-wide discipleship-focused Community Groupministry
- Design, develop, and implement—along with fellow elders—an effective process forgeneral member care, discipleship, and biblical counseling
- Serve as a member of the Staff Team, participating in staff activities, e.g., weekly staffmeetings, after-action reviews, ministry planning, and daily staff prayer
- Supervise staff responsible for music and production
- Participate regularly in a Community Group either by attending or leading
- Perform other pastoral duties as required, e.g., prayer for the sick, weddings, funerals,etc.
- Education & Experience
- The Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling must be above reproach, meeting and maintaining the spiritual, personal, and character qualifications of an elder (1 Timothy 3:1–7; Titus 1:6–9) and must exhibit the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22) in all interactions inside and outside the church.
- Minimum 5 years fulltime pastoral ministry
- Undergraduate degree required; a degree in a program or field related to biblical studies,ministry leadership, etc. preferred
- Master of Divinity preferredDoctrinal Affirmation
- Affirm the basic doctrinal positions outlined in the Living Water Church Member Affirmation of Faith (http://livingwaternw.com/beliefs)
- Substantially subscribe to the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith
- Servant Leadership. The Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling must be able to lead in a variety of contexts (e.g., individual, small groups, large groups) in such a way that Jesus Christ and the gospel are central. He must be mature, a self-starter, able to set priorities and take initiative. He must be wise and discerning and know when to be decisive, sensitive, tender, and firm.
- Relational. The Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling must have a heart to care for people. That drive should manifest itself in the appropriate use of time.
- Administrative. While seeking mainly to shepherd people, the Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling must also have the skills and ability to effectively manage the various administrative tasks associated with the position.
- Teaching & Equipping. The Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling must be a fruitful, biblical teacher and champion of the Living Water Church vision, mission, and strategy. His teaching should effectively “equip the saints for the work of ministry.”
- Communication. The Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling must be able to communicate clearly, concisely, and in a loving and biblical manner.
- Peacemaking. The Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling must be able to tactfully and winsomely unite people with varying perspectives and opinions to advance unity and love and to achieve common goals.
- Preaching. The Pastor of Discipleship & Biblical Counseling must be an effective preacher, able to rightly handle the Word of God and joyfully engage in gospel-centered, expositional, doctrinally rich, reformed, and experiential preaching.
Living Water Church
Contact Name & Contact Info
Description of Organization
Living Water Church is a body of believers who seek to form passionate followers of Jesus by proclaiming the gospel of the glory of God. To learn more about our mission and beliefs visit our website at https://www.livingwaternw.comApply Online Contact Via Email