Threshold Church’s Lead Pastor will exhibit the character qualifications of an Elder as outlined in 1 Timothy 3:1-12 and Titus 1:5-9. The Pastor will be accountable to serve alongside the Session to lead Threshold Church in overseeing the stated Mission of the church. The Pastor will have a firm grasp on the purpose, values and measures of the church and the ability to align ordained and lay staff and key leadership teams with its Mission.
I. Leadership Expectations:
1. Hungers for Jesus — Daily pursues personal growth and maturity as a servant leader and disciple of Jesus Christ. Lives prayerfully with integrity, joy, discernment, compassion, and humor. (John 15:5)
2. Compelling Leader – Is a wise, enthusiastic, open and approachable leader who values the entire church (all generations), promotes collegiality, and is motivated to train, mentor, and supervise a multi-staff (6 other members) organization.
Also embraces being a servant leader who is open to being discipled and continues to mature in grace and humility. (Mk 10:42-45 and Rom. 12:8b & 10)
3. Mission Driven — Is a catalyst guiding Threshold to strategic efforts and partnerships to boldly reach our town, region, and world with the gospel in word and deed (Acts 1:8). In this connection, Threshold values the role of beauty and creativity and thus places a high priority on the arts as a vital and compelling aspect of who we are and how we express our mission mandate: Bearing witness to the beauty of Christ for the glory of God and the good of the world. Our new Lead Pastor must share this ongoing commitment. (Psalm 27:4)
4. Vision Focused — Able to communicate and energize disciple making by example to pursue Threshold’s vision to be deeply connected internally and mission minded externally. As such, enjoys fostering a collaborative culture within the congregation and uniting members toward achieving our stated vision. (Matt. 28:19-20)
5. Exposits the Scripture — Has strong communication skills and is able to insightfully preach/teach the Scriptures without compromise from a Reformed perspective, lifting up the supremacy and sole sufficiency of Jesus Christ, connecting Threshold to the Lord with fresh application to address our challenging times and culture. (Col. 1:28-29)
II. Position Description:
A. Moderator of Session:
● As Moderator of the Session, works closely with the Session to maintain a deeply and growing spiritual and missional focus for both the Session and the church.
● Implements strategies with the Session and Staff to align Threshold’s ministries with our Mission, Values and Measures.
● Helps Session and Staff identify and develop new leaders within the church.
● Works with the Session, Finance Team, and Staff to develop the yearly
budget that advances our mission.
● Is committed to pursuing Threshold’s deeper connection and involvement
with the Presbytery of the Central Carolinas and the General Assembly of the EPC for ecclesiastical fellowship, resources, and accountability.
B. Head of Staff
● As Head of Staff, oversees all church Staff and employees to ensure they fulfill their job requirements and that Threshold’s Mission, Values and Measures are pursued across all areas of church life.
● Works closely with the worship team to provide creative, compelling, and inspiring worship services that carry forth the Philosophy of Worship, the Arts, and Technology.
● Keeps Threshold focused on local and global engagement in accordance with our Philosophy of Local and Global Engagement.
● Cultivates collegiality and group discipleship among the Staff in order to display what it desired for the congregation as a whole.
C. Shepherd of the Congregation
● Models disciple making and takes the lead in creating a church culture of disciples who make disciples across all our ministries.
● Exhibits a shepherd’s heart with love for the whole church. Accordingly, shepherds the congregation in coordination with the Deacons and Care Team to make sure congregational needs are met. As needed, is personally involved in making and modeling hospital calls.
● Preaches the majority of Sundays over the course of the year and celebrates the sacraments on a regular basis (currently 1x per month).
● Encourages and promotes Threshold’s commitment to the arts and creativity.
A. Reformed in theology with a Master of Divinity or higher from an accredited seminary.
B. Minimum of 5 – 7 years of effective ministerial experience, in the role of either Senior Pastor, Associate Pastor, or Assistant Pastor with major preaching responsibilities.
C. Holds theological alignment with and adheres to the Westminster Confession of Faith and to the EPC’s Essentials of Our Faith.
D. Agrees with an egalitarian view of church leadership.
E. Ordained by the EPC or must be willing to be ordained by the EPC.
Contact Name & Contact Info
Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC)
Description of Organization
A threshold is defined as a doorway, transition point, or a new beginning. Since our founding in 2001, we believe these images have vivid implications for spiritual life. At Threshold Church, we are a vibrant body of believers who love God and our community, and one that answers the call to tear down the spiritual, intellectual, personal, and social barriers hindering us from the full experience of new beginnings found in discipleship with Jesus Christ.
Our Mission: Bearing witness to the beauty of Christ for the glory of God and the good of the world.