Head of School
The Head of School of Covenant Day School will serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the school and report directly to the Board of Trustees. The individual will direct the overall ministry and will passionately strive to carry out the mission of Covenant Day School and God’s plan for the ministry. In addition to directing the day-to-day activities of the school, the Head of School will also be responsible directly, or through staff, for community relations, fundraising and development, academics, all school personnel, the spiritual and physical well-being of the students, and parental relations. The Head of School is responsible for ensuring that all the resources of the organization come together in focus to build on the mission, vision, goals, and objectives established for the school by the Board. It is expected that the Head of School will maintain strong coordination with Christ Covenant Church and will be a member and eager participant in the life of the church.
We look forward to seeing the next Head of School excel in the following areas:
• Serving as the spiritual leader of the school, demonstrating a personal relationship and walk with God, providing inspiration for others, and a godly model of character and conduct to students, parents, faculty, and staff
• Promoting and protecting our confessional, historic, Reformed faith
• Constructively challenging unbiblical ideas and cultural trends
• Establishing a balanced school philosophy reflecting the love of Christ and of excellence in education
• Establishing and maintaining high standards of quality in all academic and program areas and endeavors
• Assimilating and mobilizing faculty and staff to be biblical educators equipping students to thoughtfully engage our culture
• Chief proponent of spiritual and educational professional development for maximum effectiveness
• Proactive thought leader who is aware of educational and cultural trends and can accurately assess their strengths and weaknesses
• Understanding, articulating, and promoting the fundamental components of a successful Christian school
• Establishing the creative vision of Covenant Day School to revitalize existing donors and inspire expanded donor opportunities
• Communicating funding plans, goals and objectives that solidify, strengthen, and increase the donor support base for Covenant Day School
• Shaping and leading implementation of the established mission and vision of the Board and church
• Serving as the “spokesperson” for Covenant Day School with local churches and pastors, other Christian schools, Christian organizations, local colleges and universities, businesses, civic organizations, and media
• Pro-actively reinforcing positive relationships with all school constituencies to strengthen existing relationships and to foster new relationships
• Developing and implementing effective student and faculty recruitment and retainment strategies
• Communicating well in oral and written form in order to serve the mission of Covenant Day School, speak to our families, and represent the school in the Charlotte community
The new Head of School will be challenged by the unique opportunity to enhance one of the best Christian schools in the region. Building on the foundation of excellence that currently exists in our academic programs, faculty and staff personnel, and superb facilities, we believe the school’s potential is outstanding. During the next year the new Head of School will find the positive challenges represented by the following issues:
• Working with church and school leadership to strengthen alignment between church and school and find creative ways to do more ministry together
• Leading the faculty, staff, and trustees to ensure the ongoing quality of all academic, athletic, fine arts and academics resources programs.
• Working in conjunction with the trustees to engage in a strategic planning process and long-range facility plan to accommodate the future needs of the school
Head of School candidates must possess the following:
• A commitment to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
• A commitment to the highest standard of personal piety and godliness
• A commitment to growing in God’s word and in intellectual development more broadly
• A commitment to the system of doctrine taught in the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Westminster Larger and Shorter Catechisms
The ideal Head of School candidate will possess many, if not all, of the following:
• A master’s degree at an accredited college or university
• Significant experience in teaching and education
• Significant experience in leading a large and complex organization or institution
• The demonstrated leadership, communication, and interpersonal abilities necessary to work effectively with various stakeholders and constituencies
• A proven track record of local church leadership and involvement
Covenant Day School
Contact Name & Contact Info
Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Description of Organization
Covenant Day School (www.covenantday.org) is a TK-12 Christ-centered college preparatory school located in Matthews, NC (a suburb of Charlotte). Covenant Day School is a ministry of Christ Covenant Church (PCA) and serves approximately 1,000 students. Covenant Day School has a vibrant arts program and has been successful in athletics with more than a dozen varsity sports for men and women. The ministry of Covenant Day School is carried out by a staff of 175 employees and operates with a budget of nearly $15 million.
The mission of Covenant Day School is to assist the Christian family by providing an education marked by a biblical worldview, academic excellence, and affordability so that students are equipped to be salt and light for God’s glory.
Covenant Day School is committed to being an exceptional, Christ-centered, college-preparatory school. We will create an environment which develops lifelong learners, critical thinkers and problem solvers who will be actively engaged in the world as ambassadors for Christ. Our intellectually challenging academic courses and comprehensive extracurricular offerings will be taught through the lens of truth found in the historic Christian faith as understood by the Westminster Confession and Catechisms. Our students will be taught by godly faculty and staff who are skilled educators and dedicated mentors. Graduates will be prepared for matriculation into leading colleges and universities in order to live out their callings on the global stage. Our distinctive sense of family, with a diverse community of students, families, friends, donors, and alumni, will undergird these efforts as we seek to live out every aspect of Covenant Day School for God’s glory.