Gap Year Program Resident Assistant (Male)
The Resident Assistant (RA) is selected to be an integral member of the Compass Gap Year Program for college students. The RA is a full-time live-in position that is primarily responsible for the general welfare of all Compass students, encouraging them to maximize their intellectual growth and personal development in a Christ-centered environment. He reports to and is directly accountable to the Program Director. The RA lives, works, and serves alongside our Compass residents in areas of mentoring, discipleship ministry, leadership, community development, discipline, administration, and general operation of the Gap Year community at Lighthouse Point (LHP) in particular and the Cho-Yeh camp community in general. An RA can expect to discover more about themselves, deepen their faith, develop leadership skills, and strengthen interpersonal relationships. Our desire is that they grow in their faith, learn to live in the community and forge strong character traits as they become better leaders. In addition, the RA will have full access to the Waypoint Leadership Program which includes leadership curriculum, personal development classes, one on one professional coaching, community building, and outreach opportunities, with intentional and practical opportunity for spiritual growth.
Compass Program: Collaborate with Director to create a holistic learning environment that emphasizes biblical world and life view, vocational understanding, building authentic community, and servant leadership. Specifically, this would include:
● Leading daily and weekly aspects of gap year student formation.
● Leading in effective on-boarding and orientation for incoming students.
● Evaluating program effectiveness at the conclusion of each event and throughout the program year. ● Participating in student discipleship and experiential learning.
● Provide strategic support to the priorities & growth of all areas of the Gap Year experience.
● Promote student health and safety (physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually).
Assisting Compass Students: Collaborate with the Director to maintain awareness of students’ needs and concerns in order to provide appropriate action. Specifically, this would include:
● Being accessible to Compass students by spending regular & scheduled time in the LHP community areas.
● Taking initiative to know all the Compass students and remain approachable.
● Developing effective relationships with the other RA to work as a cohesive team.
● Maintaining strict confidentiality with Compass leadership in dealing with all situations.
● Discussing potential problems/referrals with Compass Director in a timely manner.
● Recognizing limitations as a counselor and act as a referral agent for students.
● Keeping regular ‘on-call’ hours with room door open
Residential Community Life: Collaborate with Director to cultivate a healthy environment of cooperation and commitment within the Compass Gap Year community. Specifically, this would include:
● Willingness to communicate openly and responsibly and to encourage the same in others.
● Promoting corporate interaction by involving all students in planned group initiatives and programs.
● Winsomely enforce house rules with students and intentionally following them as well.
● Mediating student conflict and relational issues.
● Promoting safety and fun while leading activities.
● Oversight of LHP property and assumes responsibility for reporting needed repairs in a timely manner.
Other Essential Job Functions
● Assists Cho-Yeh Staff with Guest Retreats as assigned and when needed.
● Assists the Marketing Department with Road Crew responsibilities as assigned and when needed.
● Desires to be an active member of learning and growing community.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Strong passion for Camp Cho-Yeh’s mission coupled with the ability to identify/integrate into the culture.
● Strong spiritual life and devotion to Christ as well as experience sharing personal testimony in a variety of venues. Being vulnerable and open about personal faith journey. Ability to sign statement of faith.
● Theological training
● Demonstrated ability to cultivate healthy relationships, and to maintain strong ties.
● Offer gracious hospitality to a wide demographic that includes people of diverse ethnicity, religious affiliation, age, and lifestyles.
● Must be able to regularly work long and varied hours including weekends and some holidays.
● Must maintain a positive attitude and provide a positive environment for Compass students and Cho-Yeh guests.
● Must possess the ability to communicate and work with groups of all ages and skill levels in order to provide necessary instruction to guest and campers.
● Strong awareness and commitment to preventing, detecting, and responding to physical, emotional, or sexual abuse
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college preferred; Theological education highly desired, six months to one-year related experience and/or residential program training desired; equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
TIME MANAGEMENT ABILITY
Ability to effectively manage own time and have great attention to detail. Ability to show initiative and function as a self- starter. The RA is expected to be available and accessible to our Compass Students throughout the Gap Year program. Extra-curricular activities should not conflict with the time needed to effectively perform the assigned duties of the RA. Scheduled work time includes weekends, as well as rotating on-call hours (evenings/overnights) is a part of this job.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee will regularly walk long distances. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and distance vision.
Cho-Yeh Camp and Conference Center
Contact Name & Contact Info
Description of Organization
Established in 1947, Camp Cho-Yeh is a premier Christian Camp and Retreat Center in Livingston, Texas, about an hour north of Houston. The Cho-Yeh comes from the local Alabama-Coushatta Indian language and means “land of tall pines”. For many years, Camp Cho-Yeh has been a place where both youth and adults have grown in their faith and character, while dedicated to being safe, having fun, and helping people grow deeper in their relationship with Jesus Christ.
Mission-driven summer staff and full-time employees have been impacting live for 70 years. We are dedicated to helping people grow deeper in their understanding of the Gospel. Campers and retreat guests come from all walks of life, denominations, and other organizations to enjoy our unique activities.
Compass is an intensive 9-month discipleship/leadership program at Cho-Yeh, uniquely created to equip college students (Ages 18-21) for the challenges of life. Through an integration of theological study, leadership theory, community life, and spiritual development, Compass students will deepen their faith and learn what it means to passionately follow Christ.Apply Online Contact Via Email