The Bookkeeper is responsible for managing church finances and financial business processes. This includes processing weekly offerings and other forms of income, childcare, rent payments, and payment processing, and bill payment as well as expense reimbursement, check request, petty cash, and payroll processes that align with Atlanta Westside Financial Policy. Entering the expenses and income into QuickBooks and reconciling the books.
Essential Job Functions
- Receive, count, enter, and deposit weekly tithes and offerings received via weekend services, mail, online, stock transfer, etc.
- Establish and manage bank accounts as the church’s business needs dictate.
- Produce rent billing documentation and receive and process monthly rent payments.
- Receive, review, record, and pay bills and other expenses as directed.
- Establish and manage purchasing, expense reimbursement, petty cash, check request, and other financial business processes.
- Liaison with the property management company to budget and forecast expenses that may arise.
- Plan for upcoming expenses and manage cash flow as required to meet the operational needs of the church.
- Create annual budget by working directly with staff, finance committee, and elders to meet the church’s both financial and ministry strategy.
- Balance checking account and investment accounts and submit reconciliation to finance committee for approval.
- Update and distribute monthly budget to church staff, finance committee, elders, and other individuals as directed.
- Meet monthly with the Finance Committee to report on financial activities, status and forecasts at their monthly meeting
- Produce and distribute annual giving statements to members.
- Manage payroll for church staff ensuring funds are transferred and payroll data is entered each pay period.
- Commit 20 hours per week to the bookkeeper role, of which not less than 8 hours shall be in the office.
- Work with staff team to ensure compliance with Atlanta Westside Financial policy including approval of any expenditures in excess of their approved budget
- Troubleshoot financial issues and questions, including answering emails, phone calls and inquiries from staff and finance committee members.
- Perform ad hoc reports as necessary for the finance committee or staff as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- BA/BS Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field preferred (extensive accounting/finance, in some cases, can be substituted).
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years’ experience in an accounting/finance role in a church or business environment.
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks (or other similar software applications).
- Microsoft Office (including Excel).
- Familiarity with church database (Church Community Builder) and related applications.
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters with discretion.
- Commitment to integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently as well as effectively in teams.
Atlanta Westside Presbyterian Church
Contact Name & Contact Info
Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Description of Organization
Atlanta Westside is a young and growing church, founded in 2007. We purchased our first building in December of 2017 and moved in December of 2018. Upon moving, our attendance almost doubled immediately and we received 112 new communing members in the past year, growing to 409 (559 with non-communing children). Average weekly attendance is well over 500 and sometimes over 600. Historically, our only weekly worship service has been at 10:30am on Sundays, but we will be moving to two services on March 15th of this year. The Senior Pastor is Rev. Walter Henegar.Apply Online Contact Via Email