Family Ministries Director
Supervisor: Executive Director
Time Period Status: Part-time non-exempt (compensation is hourly)
Advent’s Family Ministries Director champions and coordinates ministries related to the life of children and parents in the church. S/he establishes a vision for serving children, youth and families at Advent, developing and communicating long-term strategies for ministry to these groups in line with our church mission.
Discipleship & Teaching for Children and Youth
- Work with the Children’s and Youth Ministries team to steward our existing discipleship activities and formalize these into a formal, cohesive discipleship program for birth through twelfth grade
- Align curriculum and other resources to support that discipleship program, including support of our Children’s Worship approach
- Demonstrate ability to lead and connect with children and youth, teach and instruct, provide group facilitation, and observe classes and provide feedback
- Communicate resources to families through various platforms (e.g., email, Advent’s website)
- Develop new weekday and weekend Children’s and Youth Ministries initiatives, such as summer VBS, programming for youth, youth confirmation, etc.
- Act as the church’s official liaison with and resource for associated children and family ministries (e.g., Trail Life), and organizing
Childcare Administration & Volunteer Coordination
- Recruit, lead, and oversee volunteers within Children’s and Youth Ministries, providing training, support, and care as appropriate
- Demonstrate ability to lead and connect with parents and volunteers, managing and overseeing day-to-day communications for Children’s and Youth Ministries at Advent
- Serve as point of contact for hired childcare workers, including reviewing and approving payroll, recruiting and hiring new workers
- Ensure that thoughtful childcare and programming is provided at church events in accordance with Advent’s policies, which includes Sunday worship services, congregational meetings, annual Parish Retreat, etc.
- Ensure compliance with Advent’s Child Protection Policy (CPP) and all safety guidelines and policies to keep children and volunteers safe and secure
- Develop and manage an annual budget for Children’s and Youth Ministries
Support parents in the spiritual formation of their children by:
- Planning and coordinating events, classes, seminars, workshops, retreats, etc., related to Christian parenting and education
- Finding and/or curating curriculum and materials to help parents with Christian education at home
- Reach out to new parents and coordinate welcoming new babies, children and youth into the church
- Providing parents with additional parenting resources on an as-requested basis (book recommendations, parent support groups, guest speakers, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
The ideal applicant will have experience in education, ministry to children and youth, and/or caring for children and families. S/he will demonstrate strong interpersonal and leadership skills, committed Christian faith in full agreement with the Jerusalem Declaration as a faithful summary of Biblical teaching (exceptions must be approved by the Rector), and evidence of spiritual maturity.
Church of the Advent
Contact Name & Contact Info
Anglican - Other
Description of Organization
Church of the Advent is an Anglican Church in Washington, DC, that began as a mission of Church of the Resurrection. Our church was born out of a common desire to start healthy, gospel-centered churches through metro Washington. We long to see the city of Washington, DC renewed by the gospel of Jesus Christ, so that through it, all people might come to know the goodness, beauty and truth of God. We desire to form leaders to plant healthy, gospel-centered churches, to form partnerships with other churches and organizations who share our vision, and to serve this city with humility, courage, faithfulness, and compassion. We currently worship at the Takoma Park SDA church on Sunday mornings at 10:00 a.m.Apply Online Contact Via Email