Purpose of the Position:
The Executive Director (ED) will serve as a colleague with, and under the direction of, the Senior Pastor (SP) to implement the vision and ministry plan of Covenant Life Church. The ED frees the SP to pursue his primary responsibilities of preaching, teaching, and visionary direction. To this end, the ED constantly assesses the organization for missional alignment, resolves potential points of friction in the church, and acts as an air traffic controller by monitoring the big picture of ministry at Covenant Life Church. The ED does this by overseeing the day to day operations of the church through leading the staff and managing the financial, personnel, and facilities operations. The ED will find joy in equipping staff and congregants to thrive in ministry as we work together to Reach Sarasota.
- Staff Oversight: The ED leads, manages, and mentors the staff. Tasks include:
- Directly manage several key staff positions overseeing the ministry of the church including biweekly meetings with all direct reports for accountability and support
- Guide staff in formulating goals and objectives for individual ministry areas
- Promote continuing education opportunities for individuals and the staff as a whole
- Acknowledge, appreciate, and encourage staff members through words of encouragement and events such as the staff Christmas party or staff retreats
- Facilitate weekly staff meeting and occasional strategic planning sessions
- Foster a staff culture that embodies Christ’s example of servant leadership to the congregation and to the community
- Ministry Oversight: The ED shall oversee all planning, administration, and scheduling of church programs, activities, and events. Tasks include:
- Advise, assist, and support the SP as necessary to carry out his responsibilities
- Meet regularly with SP for discipleship, prayer, planning, and to develop a deep trust to enable working together as “one voice”
- Lead regular calendar-planning sessions to work through upcoming events and ministries with all the staff
- Delegate responsibilities across staff, officers, and the congregation as we seek to be a lay-powered church where God’s people use their gifts to edify the church
- Ensure that the church website, social media accounts, verbal announcements and other communication vehicles effectively promote the ministries of the church
- Serve as staff liaison to the Session, Diaconate, Finance Committee, Personnel Committee, and other committees as assigned
- Finance Oversight: The ED partners with the Finance Committee to faithfully steward the financial resources entrusted to the church. Tasks include:
- Initiate efforts to encourage the generous giving of the congregation
- Develop the annual church budget with the staff for successive approval by the Finance Committee, Diaconate, and Session
- Translate key ministry objectives into budgetary requirements
- Approve all expenses in accordance with the budget
- Monitor cash flow and financial stability of the church in accordance with established financial parameters and policies
- Develop and distribute financial reports each month
- Personnel Oversight: The ED partners with the Personnel Committee (PC) to faithfully steward and compensate the church staff. Tasks include:
- Lead all hiring, performance improvement plans, and termination of staff positions
- Administer the salary and benefits program offered by the church
- Ensure compliance with HR policies including the church employee handbook
- Keep the SP and the PC abreast of any issues facing staff or ministry teams
- Facilitate the annual performance evaluation process, offering recommendations to staff on how to grow in their positions
- Facilities Oversight: The ED partners with the Buildings and Grounds committee to care for, maintain, and develop the physical campus. Tasks include:
- Interact with the chair of the Buildings and Grounds committee to align facilities projects and care for the campus
- Plan for the upgrade, improvement, and expansion of the physical campus.
- Coordinate review and renewal of all church insurance policies (property, liability, umbrella, D&O, accident, etc.) with the church insurance agent.
Senior Pastor (SP)
- Full Time: Exempt level position, 40+ hours per week,
- Office Hours: Flexible hours to be coordinated with SP and it is understood this role will include some evening and weekend hours as required by ministry opportunities.
- Day Off: As this position requires night and weekend responsibilities, the ED will have one day off during the week to be scheduled in conjunction with the SP
- Evening and Weekend Activities: Ministry activities will require the ED to work an average of 2 evenings per week, Sunday mornings and occasional Saturdays
Expectations & Qualifications:
- Character: The ED must meet the character requirements for elder as outlined in 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1, and the PCA Book of Church Order. The ED’s life must exhibit an ongoing growth in spiritual maturity and godliness.
- Theological/Biblical Commitments: Committed to a Reformed view of the Scriptures with a strong working knowledge of the Westminster Standards and the PCA Book of Church Order.
- Personality: Warm presence who is able to recognize and deescalate tensions among those around him.
- Membership: The ED must be (or become) a member of Covenant Life Church. Under Biblical authority, the ED must demonstrate joyful submission to the elders and staff.
- Experience: Minimum of 10 years in church ministry in the areas outlined above with at least 5 years managing a multi-tiered staff of 8 or more people. Experience in particular ministry areas such as community groups, seniors, visitation, or assimilation would be helpful.
- Education: The ED will have a bachelor’s degree. An advanced degree would be a plus.
- Skilled at coaching and leading both staff and volunteers
- Keen attention to detail
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication, with proven presentation skills
- Able to work in a team environment
- Motivation: The ED must be self-motivated and ready to serve
How to Apply
To apply for the Executive Administrator position, please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Covenant Life Church
Contact Name & Contact Info
Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Description of Organization
- Presbyterian PCA Church located in Palmer Ranch, Sarasota, FL
- Presbytery: Suncoast Florida
- Size: 501-800 Members
Apply Online Contact Via Email