Church Planter/Senior Pastor
We are looking for an individual who feels specifically called to church planting in an urban setting, and who is passionate about being on mission for the kingdom and serving the community. As a missionary in L.A., this person would be required initially to raise support for their entire compensation package (in hopes that with time and growth, the church would become self-sustaining). We are also open to a bi-vocational candidate. In exchange, the planter gets a committed core team of Jesus-followers, with a giving pattern that covers basic operating expenses.
A candidate must be willing to balance a ministry of preaching, teaching, and pastoral care, with organizational leadership and administrative management needs of a young church. Missio Dei LA seeks a church planting senior pastor who 1) is committed to clearly preaching and teaching God’s Word, 2) has a heart for urban mission, and 3) possesses the ability to care for a diverse group of people who, though united in their love for Jesus, hold diverse perspectives and ideologies.
Education & Experience:
A master’s degree or higher with an emphasis in biblical and/or theological studies from an accredited academic institution is strongly preferred, or a candidate with a significant amount of ministry experience would be considered. Prefer minimum 5 years of ministry leadership experience.
Candidate must affirm orthodox Christian doctrine as outlined in the Apostles and Nicene creeds, as well as a substantial agreement with Reformed doctrine as outlined in the Three Forms of Unity and the Westminster Confession of Faith.
- Ability to handle the Word of God correctly, with gospel-focused and expository preaching and teaching to equip the congregation to become mature disciples of Jesus who love God, love people and love LA.
- Agreement with the core values described below in the church profile
- Strong work ethic, with a realistic understanding of the challenges of church planting in Los Angeles, and sensitive to the needs of Los Angeles and the immediate surrounding area. Counseling background a plus.
- An attitude of humility and authenticity.
- Church planting experience a plus
- To come alongside and develop vision and leadership that is biblically based and theologically sound.
- Oversee weekly worship service
- A lifestyle congruent with the biblical requirements for leaders (1 Tim. 3:1-13, 2 Tim. 2, Titus 1:5-9)
- To supervise and direct ministry leads to grow in their God-given potential and fulfill the vision and mission of the church.
- To administer the sacraments of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- To provide counseling, nurture, home visits, and pastoral care to the members and friends of MDLA, prioritizing those in crisis situations.
Contact Name & Contact Info
Los Angeles, CA
Description of Organization
Missio Dei LA is a church that was a scratch plant started in early 2016 in the neighborhood of Silver Lake in Los Angeles, as a work of the Presbyterian Church of America (PCA). Our founding pastor/planter announced in August 2018 that he needed to step away from ministry for personal reasons. The community responded by demonstrating an unprecedented desire to forge ahead as a community, and has since been meeting on Sundays (with guest preachers) while a plan to find new leadership developed. We currently do not have a pastor, and thus are unaffiliated denominationally.
We feel that God is working in LA and look forward with hope and wonder to see how God can use us, in partnership with new leadership, as part of that work. Our website (which currently has not been updated for a while) is www.missiodeila.com. Also, for reference: https://www.instagram.com/missiodeila/ & https://www.facebook.com/missiodeila/
Core Vision & Values:
The church has operated under the slogan “Love Jesus. Love People. Love L.A.” In that spirit, we’ve been led with a strong emphasis on coming alongside the “mission of God” in our community, both internally and externally. Practically speaking, internally this has expressed itself in activities like: community dinners, prayer & planning days, book discussion groups, after-church lunches, bowling night, movie night, and the like. Outreach has included long-term relationships with Salvation Army Alegria (a long-term transitional housing facility in Silverlake) and Micheltorena Elementary School (the school we share a building with), as well as smaller initiatives like creating social opportunities for church and non-church friends to interact, and item collection for a Skid Row homeless ministry.
We believe that when you get to know the culture of our church you get a sense of a strong emphasis on the doctrine of grace / Gospel-centered preaching, a commitment to historical/orthodox Christianity and the truth of Scripture, diversity united in Christ, a strong desire to serve the community as a “spiritual hospital” in the neighborhood (with an emphasis on the socially marginalized).
We believe that it is important to the continued flourishing of our church body to look upward in worship, to look inward in community and to look outward together in mission.Apply Online Contact Via Email