Children’s Ministry Director
General overview: The Children’s Ministry Director is a part-time member of the church staff, responsible for coordinating all aspects of our ministry for children (Ages 0-5th grade). He or she works under the immediate supervision of the Senior pastor in coordination with other pastoral staff, and works alongside the existing children’s ministry lay leadership team to create and execute all children’s programs.
Hours per week & Salary: 20 hrs/week. Salary based on experience and education. (We budgeted $22,866 in 2019.)
Reports to: Senior Pastor
• Oversee children’s ministry programs on Sunday mornings, as well as at other times as determined in conversation with pastor.
• Hold and conduct PTA meetings.
• Recruit leaders, teachers, and helpers for the children’s ministry.
• Oversee Sunday teacher volunteer schedules for Nursery – 5th grade.
• Plan and execute 2 volunteer training’s throughout the year with church staff.
• Work with other staff members to develop/and or choose Sunday School curriculum.
• Assist teachers in implementing curriculum.
• Assess, purchase, and maintain inventory for supplies (e.g. snacks, crafts, etc.).
• Plan with staff to implement a vision for outreach through children’s ministry.
• Serve as adviser to other ministry teams as needed, and as relevant to children (e.g. to help a team provide childcare at an event they are hosting)
• Oversee and support weekly AWANA ministry.
• Organize and execute seasonal events: (e.g. Easter Egg Hunt, Vacation Bible School, Hallelujah Night, Christmas presentation, Children’s program at Church Retreat).
• Other duties as assigned.
A qualified candidate
• Must be willing to become a member.
• Displays Christian maturity.
• Has at least 2 years of relevant experience.
• Displays excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Is a team player who can be flexible.
• Has strong organizational skills.
• Is aligned with our church’s doctrinal and confessional statements.
• Is someone who loves children and has relational skills with adults (Parents and volunteers).
North Shore Community Church
Contact Name & Contact Info
Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Oyster Bay, NY
Description of Organization
I have met a lot of people whose experience has been similar to mine. When I was a child I thought that God was something like a slot machine - a set of spinning images in a casino that handed out rewards based on behavior, and, perhaps, on chance. And as I reflect back on it, for me at least, what I was doing was more like living by superstition than having a relationship with God.
But here’s the problem: it seemed to work. If something nice happened to me, I thought it was God, and if something nice didn’t happen, I went back to the slot machine mentality, knelt down and prayed, and pulled the lever a few more times. Now, this is not what the Bible teaches about how to live. It certainly is not biblical Christianity, but it’s what a lot of people believe. To me, back then, God was more of an idea. I found this described in the book Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller, where he says that "spirituality," for many people, has "a god" who is just an idea. For them, the Lord is not a real person – just a mind game. What I have come to learn, however, is that God is real. He is personal. And he desires a relationship with us. This is all throughout the Bible, of course, but I missed it for many years.
What about you? Do you want to know God personally? The apostle Paul writes, “For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.” (1 Corinthians 2:2) We read in Jesus’ great prayer, "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." (John 17:3) Our church's mission statement begins with the words "to know Christ…" Before we can do anything for the Lord, we need to know Him first.
We, at the North Shore Community Church, invite anyone and everyone to join us in getting to know Jesus Christ. We would like to get to know you, as well. Please consider meeting with us someday soon!
Pastor John Yenchko