Associate Pastor for Congregational Care
The Associate Pastor for Congregational Care (APCC) serves as a key member of the pastoral team. In addition to fulfilling the general responsibilities of a teaching elder, the APCC will coordinate and participate in a strategic effort to shepherd those under the care of Signal Mountain Presbyterian Church. The APCC reports to the Sr. Pastor and is accountable to the Session.
Exercise of Pastoral Care
- Oversight of and regular participation in home, hospital and nursing home visitation
- Carry out a ministry of pastoral counseling among the congregation
- With the Sr. Pastor, regular participation in planning and performing funerals
- Face-to-face meetings with members of the congregation
Oversight of Congregational Care
- Build upon past and ongoing efforts to develop a shepherding plan that utilizes the gifts of the entire congregation to close shepherding gaps and ensure that no one is alone
- Train, empower and mobilize officers and members to execute the shepherding plan
- Develop and oversee a plan to incorporate new members into active participation in the mission of the church
- Coordinate the supervision and operation of Stephen Ministry and other caring ministries such as Grief Share, Divorce Care, ministry to singles, etc…
- Coordinate and mobilize the deacons as those who carry out the ministry of sympathy and service
- Oversee, coordinate and develop ongoing ministries to Senior Adults
Ministry of Word & Sacrament
- Regular (weekly) participation in Sunday worship services, and other services as assigned by the Sr. Pastor
- Preach approximately 4 times per year
- Teach as needed in various settings: Sunday School, discipleship groups, Bible Studies, etc.
- With the rest of the pastoral team, provide biblical, pastoral counseling to the congregation, referring individuals and families to appropriate care providers when needed
- One-on-one/small group discipleship
- Meet weekly with the pastoral team
- Function as a member of the Session & the Presbytery of the Southeast
- A gentle spirit and a calming presence
- Giftedness in encouraging and discipling those who are homebound, sick and at the end of life
- A philosophy of ministry and pastoral care centered on the unwavering sufficiency of God’s word
- Gifted to encourage, empower and train others in developing and nurturing relationships reflecting Jesus’ admonition that men will know we are his disciples by the way we love one another (John 13:35)
- Fruit of the Holy Spirit embodiment
- Ordained (or willing and qualified to be ordained) in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church
- A track record of caring for God’s people in the local church (5+ years of ordained experience is preferred)
- If applicable, a strongly supportive family having a clear understanding of the requirements of the position
- Satisfactory background check
Signal Mountain Presbyterian Church
Contact Name & Contact Info
Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC)
Signal Mountain, TN
Description of Organization
Signal Mountain Presbyterian Church is a 1500+ member church on Signal Mountain, just minutes from downtown Chattanooga, TN. Our vision is to equip all people to live ordinary life as the faithful presence of Jesus’s love. Those words express the heart of a church that has existed on Signal Mountain for nearly a century, all the while striving to live into the mission given by Jesus to his Church in Matthew 28.
Within the last three years, our church had identified and embraced 5 enduring values. These are at the heart of who we have always been, and who we hope to be, no matter the shifting sands of the context around us.
Biblical Authority: We submit to the authority of Scripture.
Sacrificial Love: We care for, serve and pray for each other in costly ways.
Transformational Discipleship: We grow disciples through worship, preaching, teaching in the context of relationships.
Generational Investment: We welcome the next generation for the sake of God’s kingdom.
Missional Living: We embrace the call to do whatever it takes to make sure that everyone within our reach encounters the gospel.
As a member of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, we remain committed to the worship of, and obedience to, the Triune God revealed in the Scriptures and incarnate in his only Son, Jesus Christ, whom we proclaim as Savior and Lord. We profess that the Bible is God’s inerrant, infallible and inspired word. We hold to the historic Reformed Faith as expressed in confessions as authentic and reliable expositions of what Scripture leads us to believe and do. And, we rejoice in the open commitment with all believers as expressed in the EPC’s “Essentials of the Faith.”
We are dedicated with integrity and without apology to God’s Word as we guide and influence believers to know what they believe, why they believe it, and how to live out that faith with integrity in word and deed. We are equally committed to sharing this faith with a hurting and disillusioned world.Apply Online Contact Via Email