Assistant Pastor for Student Discipleship
1. High School & Middle School (HS & MS) Discipleship (60%)
- Sunday School. Teach and Coordinate the teaching of Sunday School for HS and MS students.
- Organize and recruit kids for Sunday night or Wednesday night Bible studies at the homes of families in the congregation.
- Meet one-on-one with MS and HS students.
- Be the primary engagement with visiting families with MS & HS students.
- Plan & lead a Fall and Spring retreats in coordination with other Potomac Presbytery Youth Ministers.
- Organize and lead a Parent meetings at least once per year.
- Recruit a volunteer to assist with discipling girls.
- Network and engage with other youth ministries in Burke and Fairfax County (e.g., Young Life groups at Robinson Secondary School and Lake Braddock Secondary School).
2. Leading during Worship (30%). We also hope to use this position as a training and testing ground for men who will leave to become solo and senior pastors. Therefore, there would be ample opportunity for the assistant pastor to develop his skills preaching and in leading worship.
- Weekly participation in worship services on the Lord’s Day through leading in prayer and reading Scripture.
- Preaching God’s Word once every 4 to 6 weeks.
3. Coordinating events for Young Adults (e.g., college students, graduate students, and young professionals) (10%)
- Organizing monthly social events for this group.
- Overseeing ministries (e.g., Bible studies) that develop in this group
- Master of Divinity or equivalent degree.
- Ordained or ordainable in the PCA. This position could be filled by a seminary student willing to transfer to Reformed Theological Seminary’s Washington, D.C. campus (about 20 minutes from Burke) or who is able to finish their degree at another seminary while living in Northern Virginia.
- Commitment to living and teaching the Westminster Standards and Reformed theology.
- Experience in youth ministry, and a vision for how to start one.
- Commitment to ethnic and racial diversity.
Next Step. For those interested in applying, please send a resume to email@example.com along with a cover letter that provides your vision for student ministry and your sense of calling to this position. For questions about the position, please email the same address.
Christ Presbyterian Church Burke
Contact Name & Contact Info
Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Description of Organization
We are a 16 month old church plant starting the process of organizing into a particular church by April 2021. We are a church on a mission to know Christ and to make him known here in Burke, in and around our nation’s capital, and to the ends of the earth. As a suburb of DC, most of our families are here because of work connected to the Pentagon or the Federal Government. We are planting an intentionally Presbyterian church, and the Lord has provided a great response to that identity. Given Burke’s ethnic diversity, we value seeing our church reflect the diversity of our community and the kingdom of heaven.
One of the ways we hope to fulfill our mission of making Christ known in our families and in Burke is through the addition of an assistant pastor who will disciple middle and high school students. Our church has a significant number of middle and high school students due to our close proximity to Robinson Secondary School (5,000 students) and Lake Braddock Secondary School (4,000 students). Our congregation already has students who attend these public schools as well as those who attend Christian Schools or are home schooled. We value that diversity because we think it is a sign of grace in the hearts of our families for others who do things differently than they do. We are praying for an assistant pastor who will help us disciple students in this age group and minister to their families.Contact Via Email