- Faculty & Staff
- Becoming a Student
- Student Life
- News / Events
The RTS Jackson Summer Institute for Biblical Languages (SIBL) has been created in order to provide thorough, intensive introductions to all three biblical languages. Hebrew with Dr. Miles Van Pelt and Greek with Dr. Ben Gladd will be offered during the summer, five days a week, three hours per day, for eight weeks. During this eight week period, students will complete a full year of language study (Hebrew 1 and 2 or Greek 1 and 2).
Dr. Miles Van Pelt has announced that in Summer 2013, in addition to the usual SIBL offerings of Greek and Hebrew, he will also teach Aramaic (see Dr. Van Pelt's Aramaic Grammar here). SIBL 2013, then, will offer a total of three languages: Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic.
These courses are intended to provide a better educational context for the biblical languages given the increasing part-time nature of student enrollment. Any RTS student at an RTS campus can take these courses for credit. Additionally, pastors who would like to brush up on biblical language skills may find it to better fit their current ministry contexts. Also, RTS Alumni can take the courses for free.
Loading the player ...
Benefits to this system are:
(1) Complete an entire year of language study in eight weeks;
(2) The intensive, immersion context is better suited for language acquisition than intermittent exposure during a regular academic year full of other distractions. Your proficiency after eight intensive weeks will normally be better than after one year at a regular academic pace.
(3) This intensive environment also creates strong community. We eat together. We play ultimate frisbee together. We study together. We worship together!
Do you love the Gospel? Then come study the biblical languages in Jackson, MS during the summer. If God has called you to Gospel ministry then he has called you to study the biblical languages, all of them, not just to get by and use the tools, but to know better God's Word and be transformed by that Word into a minister of God's gospel! Martin Luther once said, "Without the languages, the Gospel will surely perish!"
Non-RTS students who wish to participate in the Summer Institute and receive credit must apply. If you are currently enrolled in good standing at an accredited seminary or graduate school, you may go through a very abbreviated application to become a Visiting Student. Others must apply at a minimum to be a Special Student. To see details on what the Visiting Student or Special Student applications require, click here. If you have questions, please contact the Admissions office at 800.543.2703 or email@example.com.
In Summer 2013, SIBL will run from June 24 to August 16.
- Greek and Hebrew will be offered Monday-Friday, 1-4pm.
- Aramaic will be taught on Tuesday/Thursday, 9:30-11:30am.
For information on required and recommended text books please click here.