Step 2 - Getting Your I-20

In order to apply for your F-1 Student VISA at an US embassy, you must have an I-20 form issued by RTS Jackson. The I-20 states, among other things, that you have the necessary funds (for tuition and living expenses) for the time of your study. The US Government requires that you provide proof of financial support in an amount not less than the cost of your program of study plus living expenses for each year you are in the US (see table below). Therefore, you will need to certify the source and amount of your annual financial support for Visa purposes. These are the documents you need as Proof of Financial Support:

          - Personal resources: your bank statement
          - Support from individuals: letter of support with amount indicated and a bank statement (or other legal document that proves financial ability to pay the amount promised)
          - Support from churches: letter on church letterhead stationery promising a certain amount of support

The letters of support must state the amount that will be given to RTS Jackson for your support (annually/each year) and for how long (how many years it will be given).

If you have been awarded with a scholarship (and a work study position) you can deduct the amount awarded from the amount that you need to document.

Additionally, you will be required to transfer the amount for the first year of study before the I-20 is issued to you. The length of time for which an I-20 is issued is based on the number of years necessary to complete the degree which you applied (Master of Arts – 2 Years, Master of Divinity – 3 or 4 years).

The estimated total monetary requirements for each year of study including tuition for the regular academic year (summer tuition not included) and all living expenses including housing, insurance, fees, books, food, and personal expenses are:

 Single Student
 Tuition and Fees$14,850
 Living Expenses                     $11,568
 Total Annual Expenses$26,418
 Married Student 
 Tuition and Fees$14,850
 Living Expenses$11,568
 Dependent Expenses$6,000
 Total Annual Expenses$32,418
 Married Student/Family
 Tuition and Fees$14,850
 Living Expenses$11,568
 Dependent Expenses
(spouse and 1 child)
Total Annual Expenses    $34,418
*plus $2,000/each
additional child

You need also to be aware that this amount includes some sort of health insurance, but the cost varies according to the choice you make. Although it is mandatory to have health insurance, there are a number of options from which you may choose a health insurance policy.

         Stage 1 - Applying to RTS

Stage 2 - Getting your I-20

Stage 3 - Applying for a Visa

Stage 4 - Coming to the U.S.

Stage 5 - Settling In Information

Contact Us

Whether you're a prospective student, current student, alumnus, donor, or friend of RTS, we would love to hear from you.